Thread: Internet Working; Ping Not

Beans

Internet Working; Ping Not

Been googling this issue for about an hour or so with no luck . . .

Here's a variation for you...I am online just fine but I can't even ping my own router (192.168.1.1)

I can ping 127.0.0.1 and I can ping my own address behind the router but nothign else, not even the other computer on my home network (Windows XP). The XP box, OTOH, can ping me just fine which makes me think I somehow disabled icmp.

ip rou gives me the following:
    default via 192.168.1.1 dev wlan0 proto static
    169.254.0.0/16 dev wlan0 scope link metric 1000
    192.168.1.0/24 dev wlan0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.101 metric 2
    Maybe UFW is blocking it somehow? Like I said, I can access the internet just fine. I'm just playing around with my home network and trying to learn how to up security since my XP box is currently being hacked. (found the hacker through netstat but the linux box appears safe. . . for now)

The weirdest thing of all is that if I put 192.168.1.1 into the browser address bar I still get the logon page but ping gets nothing.

Any idea what's going on?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Internet Working; Ping Not

Either your router is set to not respond-to ICMP requests which is highly likely ,
    or you have a rule in UFW.

I think the first one is the most likely one.

Best way to test is

Code:
    sudo tcpdump - i any icmp
    then when you do a ping, the above trace will show you the icmp message go out (icmp request) and then one in return,
    icmp response.
    If you see the first but not the second , the router is not responding.
    If you see the first and the second, but ping failing it may be dropped after it is received.
    If you see neither, its blocked from going out
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Beans

I think the first one is the most likely one.
    Really? I thoguth I had ruled out the router since the other computer on my network can ping just fine.

Just the same, I'm happy to try whatever you suggest so . . .

tcpdump: WARNING: eth0: no IPv4 address assigned
    tcpdump: syntax error
    That's suggestive. Not sure exactly what that means except that IPv4 is an internet protocol and when I set rules in UFW it often tells me either an IPv4 or an IPv6 rule has been added.

edit:
    Thanks for the clue. I just discovered that if I disable the router's firewal, suddenly I can ping it. Also I found that if I uncheck "prevent any packets coming from the LAN from passing through the router" (<--roughly translated from the Chinese)

That still doesn't explain why the other computer on the network could ping me regardless of these settings. . . .
    Last edited by bailewen; February 7th, 2012 at 02:24 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey There

Just reading your update now.

I didnt notice that you said you could ping from another machine to that interface

The only thing I can think of is there is a trusted list of clients or its treating one machine different to another.

Kind of odd it responds.

The whole idea of this is to stop machines that ping ranges of IP addresses, find a target and then attack it.
    Anyway, IM not sure where we stand on this if its resolved or not??

One of the weird ones
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.