Thread: How often do you optimize the database?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How often do you optimize the database?

Can anyone comment on how frequently they optimize the database and what your experience has been? Has it changed the performance for better or for worse, or has it broken anything? Lately Iíve noticed slight playback pauses or glitches, typically I think at the top of the hour when recordings start or stop, or when Iím deleting a recording. I have a single drive system (OS and recordings on the same drive) and am using XFS for the recordings partition. When I built the system 18 months ago I stressed tested it and found little or no issues like this. I have my XFS partition mounting with allocsize=512m and xfs_db is indicating a fragmentation factor of about 68% (which is considered okay according to the wiki). My system is frequently recording 2-3 shows at a time.

I do daily cron-scheduled database backups to NAS but otherwise havenít had to do much other maintenance activities to this point (except periodic offline clonezilla backups of the OS partition). Iím only assuming at this point that the glitches Iím of might be related to database fragmentation. Iíve upgraded from 23.1 to a couple months back 24.1 and Mythbuntu/MythTV has exceed my expectations overall.

Edit to add: OS partition is about 75% full and recording partition is typically 33-66% full. The system is primarily used for timeshifting and not archiving shows.

I was going to follow these instructions but wanted to hear otherís experience before I tried the script. Thanks much.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manu...e_the_Database

Here are my recording statistics from the past 18 months if that is of any interest.

Number of shows: 231
    Number of episodes: 11873
    First recording: Friday August 20th, 2010
    Last recording: Tuesday February 7th, 2012
    Total Running Time: 1 year 5 months 18 days 5 hrs 15 mins
    Total Recorded: 1 year 14 days 11 hrs 21 mins
    Percent of time spent recording: 7%
    Last edited by GaryP2; February 7th, 2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added additional info noted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How often do you optimize the database?

well, IIRC, there is an "optimise database" tickbox in mythbuntu contorl centre, and you can also activate db repair cron jobs from there (in 11.10 anyway)
    so you can try it from there to see if that is the problem.
    The sig between the asterisks is SO COOL that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

Beans

mythbuntu sets the system to check the database and back it up weekly via
    Code:
    /etc/cron.weekly/mythtv-database
    you can run the script manually any time you want.

personally I move it to /etc/cron.daily and set it to keep 2 or 3 weeks of backups.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by wyliecoyoteuk View Post
    well, IIRC, there is an "optimise database" tickbox in mythbuntu contorl centre, and you can also activate db repair cron jobs from there (in 11.10 anyway)
    so you can try it from there to see if that is the problem.
    I see two options appears in my 10.04 Mythbuntu Control Centre under MySQL: "Enable daily MySQL DB OptimizeRepair cron job" and "Enable MySQL performance tweaks". Neither of them are enabled. Does anyone know what scripts these enable or if having them enabled has ever caused any undesirable effects?

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    mythbuntu sets the system to check the database and back it up weekly via
    Code:
    /etc/cron.weekly/mythtv-database
    you can run the script manually any time you want.

personally I move it to /etc/cron.daily and set it to keep 2 or 3 weeks of backups.
    I actually have a /etc/cron.daily/mythtv-database also that does my daily backup, mounting a CIFS share and then performing an rsync against the directory where I have rotation backups. I edited this script some time ago from some examples I found somwhere to do both some sort of DB check and also do a backup to my remote NAS disk. In that script, amongst other lines to do the backup, CIFS mount, and rsync, there are the following lines:

Code:

DBNAME="mythconverg"
    DEBIAN="--defaults-extra-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf"
    /usr/bin/mysqlcheck $DEBIAN -s $DBNAME

The wiki I referenced in my first post is outdated because the file no longer exists at that location. I found the file /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl that contains the following code:

Code:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
    #
    # Connects to the mythtv database and repairs/optimizes the tables that it
    # finds.  Suggested use is to cron it to run once per day.
    #
    # @url       $URL$
    # @date      $Date$
    # @version   $Revision$
    # @author    $Author$
    # @license   GPL
    #
    # Includes
        use DBI;
        use MythTV;
    # Connect to mythbackend
        my $Myth = new MythTV({'connect' => 0});
    # Connect to the database
        $dbh = $Myth->{'dbh'};
    # Repair and optimize each table
        foreach $table ($dbh->tables) {
            unless ($dbh->do("REPAIR TABLE $table")) {
                print "Skipped:  $table\n";
                next;
            };
            if ($dbh->do("OPTIMIZE TABLE $table")) {
                print "Repaired/Optimized: $table\n";
            }
            if ($dbh->do("ANALYZE TABLE $table")) {
                print "Analyzed: $table\n";
            }
        }
    I'd like to understand what the difference between what the mysqlcheck is doing in the script I already have running vs. what the mythdb.pl script in the second example vs. what happens when I check one of both of the options in Mythbuntu Control Centre. Thanks again!
    Last edited by GaryP2; February 8th, 2012 at 12:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Running the OptimizeRepair script eliminated the brief pauses I was seeing during playback when other recordings start, stop, or are deleted. Turning on the option "Enable daily MySQL DB OptimizeRepair cron job" placed a copy of optimize_mythdb in /etc/cron.daily. I ran the script manually the first time Ė it walked through and optimized the tables in just a few seconds and I could immediately see that things were running smoother. Iíve had it running daily for over a week with no issues.

A couple days ago I turned on "Enable MySQL performance tweaksĒ. This created the file /etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv-tweaks.cnf with the following contents. Enabling this may have made my frontends start playback slightly faster, but otherwise I canít really tell any other difference. Note that the contents of this file is just slightly different than whatís documented in the mythtv.org wiki MySQL Database Tweaks.

Code:
    [mysqld]
    # The following values were partly taken from:
    # http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/90942#90942
    # key_buffer = 48M
    # max_allowed_packet = 8M
    table_cache = 128
    sort_buffer_size = 48M
    net_buffer_length = 8M
    # thread_cache_size = 4
    query_cache_type = 1
    query_cache_size = 32M
    # don't do binary logs for mythconverg
    binlog_ignore_db = mythconverg
    I just thought Iíd give an update to this thread in what effects I found these two options gave me. My database slowly got more and more fragmented to where I didnít really notice it until in recent weeks. I should have just enabled both of these options on day one but was reluctant to change any defaults given that I was new to MythTV.