Thread: Plotting a 2D array in OpenGL

Beans

Plotting a 2D array in OpenGL

Hi all;

Nowadays, I started to learn OpenGL. I have a question. Now, I wanna do a program. This program will mainly plot a 2D array (array1) and then fill it with colors. I have a 2D array (array2) before plotting the array1. array1 will be filled with colors according to datas which in array2. I am new to OpenGL. Therefore, i am not sure even if this program can be done with OpenGL. I am also studying and searching lots of stuff about OpenGL. I will be glad to hear some advice, if you have about what should i do first? By the way, I am using C++. Thanks.

Beans

Re: Plotting a 2D array in OpenGL

Quote Originally Posted by rocky7 View Post
    Hi all;

Nowadays, I started to learn OpenGL. I have a question. Now, I wanna do a program. This program will mainly plot a 2D array (array1) and then fill it with colors. I have a 2D array (array2) before plotting the array1. array1 will be filled with colors according to datas which in array2. I am new to OpenGL. Therefore, i am not sure even if this program can be done with OpenGL. I am also studying and searching lots of stuff about OpenGL. I will be glad to hear some advice, if you have about what should i do first? By the way, I am using C++. Thanks.
    Your post is a bit unclear as to what exactly you are attempting to accomplish.

You can plot a curve with OpenGL. You could have your data in a 2D array.

See the following link for more information about graphing a curve with OpenGL.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenGL_...GL_Tutorial_01

They use GLUT to create the OpenGL window. That's not a good idea. If you are using Linux you can just create the OpenGL window with GLX, if you later need a full GUI then using one of the GUI toolkits is best such as GTK+, QT, wxWidgets, FLTK, they all let you create an OpenGL window to draw into.