Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Canonical Pulls Financial Plug on Kubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Canonical Pulls Financial Plug on Kubuntu

I like the look of gnome 3 - has a nice professional polish to it. But using it is more tasking than Unity, I think.

I can get around Unity pretty quick - gnome 3 takes a little more time - and it's sluggish and breaks all my wine games for some reason.
    "Only because the richest software company on the planet is utterly incompetent, and incapable of building a secure operating system. -- Carla Schroder

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The way I have it in my mind, Kubuntu, like some other Ubuntu derivatives like, say, Ultimate Edition, Super OS, and a dozen plus others were allowed to ride along in the Ubuntu airplane until they matured enough to make it on their own.

Then they were proverbially pushed out of the nest, so to speak, to discover that they could fly by themselves. I believe that Canoncial's discontinuance of Kubuntu's funding is, in reality, a vote of confindence that Kubuntu has matured to the degree of being able to fly on its own as an independent OS in its own right.

Objective proof of Kubuntu's maturity is demonstrated in the fact that it is listed on DistroWatch (# 28; Ubuntu is #2). For a distro to get listed on DistroWatch requires some rigorous qualifying, see https://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/fo...rowatch#p32041.

I think that the fact that Canonical didn't discontinue Kubuntu's funding until after it (Kubuntu) was listed on DistroWatch shows that it (Canonical) funded Kubuntu long past reasonable justification for doing so.
    HP Z400 Workstation, Xeon 3680 hexcore 3.33 GHz, 18 GB ram, 2TB hdd; Windows 10; Ubuntu 18.04/Mate; Deepin 20/Beta (doesn't boot)//,160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Randymanme View Post
    The way I have it in my mind, Kubuntu, like some other Ubuntu derivatives like, say, Ultimate Edition, Super OS, and a dozen plus others were allowed to ride along in the Ubuntu airplane until they matured enough to make it on their own.

Then they were proverbially pushed out of the nest, so to speak, to discover that they could fly by themselves.
    Except that Ultimate Edition et al were never officially blessed derivatives. Kubuntu still is (and has been since day one). You can't compare Kubuntu to a respin cobbled together in Remastersys by some one-man band.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Except that Ultimate Edition et al were never officially blessed derivatives. Kubuntu still is (and has been since day one). You can't compare Kubuntu to a respin cobbled together in Remastersys by some one-man band.
    Just so I'll know, which derivatives are/have been "officially blessed?" And, like with DistroWatch, is/are there established criteria whereby Canonical's "official blessing" might be obtained?

Can I assume that because of Linux Mint's numerous contributions to Linux (a lot of which, like, say, Mint Tools, Mint Menu, Cinnamon, Mate, etc. have been reworked by other developers so that they can be installed on Ubuntu by popular demand) is "officially blessed" by Canonical?
    HP Z400 Workstation, Xeon 3680 hexcore 3.33 GHz, 18 GB ram, 2TB hdd; Windows 10; Ubuntu 18.04/Mate; Deepin 20/Beta (doesn't boot)//,160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Canonical withdraw fund kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    That's a big +1.
    Can I make that a big +2

I now have three installations of Kubuntu 12.04.

Although I have Ubuntu and Lubuntu installed on my netbook I wouldn't use anything other than Kubuntu on my PC or laptop now.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I think that the fact that Canonical didn't discontinue Kubuntu's funding until after it (Kubuntu) was listed on DistroWatch shows that it (Canonical) funded Kubuntu long past reasonable justification for doing so.
    Kubuntu has been on DistroWatch for years.

Just so I'll know, which derivatives are/have been "officially blessed?" And, like with DistroWatch, is/are there established criteria whereby Canonical's "official blessing" might be obtained?
    According to Canonical's website about this, the only officially recognized derivatives are Xubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Mythbuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, and Lubuntu. There is also a link on that page to a list of other known derivatives that aren't officially recognized.

I may be wrong, but I think the only ones that were ever funded by Canonical were Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Edubuntu.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro

You know, it just hit me a few minutes ago -- I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. Mark Shuttleworth is the First Patron of KDE -- KDE's highest honor. That's why Canonical funded Kubuntu for so long.

And as someone else noted: Canonical will continue to support Kubuntu in other ways.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You know, it just hit me a few minutes ago -- I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. Mark Shuttleworth is the First Patron of KDE -- KDE's highest honor. That's why Canonical funded Kubuntu for so long.
    Probably more like the other way around. He became a patron because he was financially supporting a major KDE distro. You'd have to ask him or someone high up in KDE whether the chicken or egg came first.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415