Thread: Can't get my second monitor to work

Beans

Cool Can't get my second monitor to work

Hello, people, I have recently installed Ubuntu for the first time, and would like to set up dual monitors.

I have 2 perfectly working monitors. They only work when plugged into the graphics card VGA plug-in, but if I plug the other monitor into the normal VGA slot plug-in on the motherboard, the second monitor will not work. I have tried switching them around, several times, and I still receive the same problem.

What should I do to fix this? As I said, one monitor is plugged into the video card, the other is plugged into the default motherboard monitor plug-in. The only monitor that works is the one that is plugged into the graphics card.

Maybe the problem is because I don't have the drivers for my motherboard? Who knows?

I have the newest version of Ubuntu.

Thanks!

EDIT: Yes, I have tried the 'detect display' in display settings, but it doesn't work.
    Last edited by Hunt3rr; February 7th, 2012 at 12:27 AM.

Beans

Re: Can't get my second monitor to work

bumppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Give 24 hours before you bump. We're all here voluntarily and may not see your post right away. We are also scattered around the world, so the best person for the answer may be asleep.

Does your BIOS allow for the use of both discrete and integrated graphics at the same time?
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."

Beans

Nope, did not work. It allowed another monitor to be shown in my Catalyst Control center, but it was unidentified.