Thread: No post on boot, one long two short beeps

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

No post on boot, one long two short beeps

Hey all, i gave my pc to my sister and she took it home but the pc had to wait 6h in the cold car (-12C)
    now the pc doesnt go on
    It gives one long and two short beeps. She removed the graficscard and it stills beeps the same.
    The mainboard has an integrated Graficscard.
    Is there somerhing i could do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: No post on boot, one long two short beeps

Quote Originally Posted by arzali View Post
    Hey all, i gave my pc to my sister and she took it home but the pc had to wait 6h in the cold car (-12C)
    now the pc doesnt go on
    It gives one long and two short beeps. She removed the graficscard and it stills beeps the same.
    The mainboard has an integrated Graficscard.
    Is there somerhing i could do?

You could try removing the RAM and replacing it, sometimes this can move because of the cold and end up not making contact on all pins

Also look on the mother board for the Make, Model, and Version
    if you can find these we can look up exactly what the beeps mean
    this will tell you what part is not working

Good Luck

Ibod
    Ibod.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: No post on boot, one long two short beeps

Let it warm back up for about the same amount of time and replace the bios battery (usually CR2032 - buy at a chemist not pc store as much cheaper and hq brand).

Battery may well have failed at that low temp and reset bios

The actual sequence of beeps is bios/motherboard dependent - you may get a more definitive answer with that info and google at your disposal.
    Code:
    cd /fridge/beer | drink && fallover

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: No post on boot, one long two short beeps

One long, two short is pretty universal of video failure. As it is giving that code with the add-on video card removed, yet has an onboard gfx card, then ibod's solution of the RAM becoming unseated is the most likely cause. Between getting moved around and the cold, it doesn't take much to shift a RAM module just enough. A stick can seem to be locked securely in but actually be off.

Make sure all power has been removed, and press and hold the power button to make sure all power has drained from the mobo. Touching a grounded pipe or sink faucet is good for dissipating any static. And then reseat all the RAM. If you still have issues, systematically repeat by installing just one stick of RAM at a time. That way you can find out if just one stick has gone bad. Unlikely but possible.