Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    python-mate-desktop
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    python-mate-desktop
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 26 not upgraded.
    150 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0 B/83.9 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 422 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 268222 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking python-mate-desktop (from .../python-mate-desktop_1.0.2-1_amd64.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/python-mate-desktop_1.0.2-1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/evolution/ecal.la', which is also in package python-evolution 2.32.0-0ubuntu6
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/python-mate-desktop_1.0.2-1_amd64.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    randyman@randyman-EL1358G:~$

So here's my question: what command may I use to force dpkg to overwrite '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/evolution/ecal.la'?

I don't use Evolution anyway (never have).

Any help or alternative suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    HP Z400 Workstation, Xeon 3680 hexcore 3.33 GHz, 18 GB ram, 2TB hdd; Windows 10; Ubuntu 18.04/Mate; Deepin 20/Beta (doesn't boot)//,160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Would like to have Mate

Have you looked at the solution provided in the comment thread you are following?
    Code:
    cd /fridge/beer | drink && fallover

Beans

Re: Would like to have Mate

There's a much cleaner and easier way to install MATE than that! See: http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download#ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by satanselbow View Post
    Have you looked at the solution provided in the comment thread you are following?
    I've no idea what that means except, maybe, "go get some beer."

I did attempt to follow a solution proffered in the comments section at http://www.noobslab.com/2011/11/inst...esktop-on.html (see screenshot). It was my downloading and attempting to install
    ftp://tridex.net/repo/ubuntu/pool/ma...-mate-desktop/ that got me here.

Moving on. I do, in fact, have Mate installed and am posting with it now. But I have to admit that I'm a little hazy on precisedly how that occurred
    cd /fridge/beer | drink && falloverMy first idea was to remove Evolution (since I don't use it anyway), but that would have entailed the accompanying removal of a lot of other packages that I needed to keep in order to retain a functioning os. Next, I thought to just give up getting Mate on Ubuntu and just "sudo apt-get remove
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HP Z400 Workstation, Xeon 3680 hexcore 3.33 GHz, 18 GB ram, 2TB hdd; Windows 10; Ubuntu 18.04/Mate; Deepin 20/Beta (doesn't boot)//,160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by satanselbow View Post

I did attempt to follow a solution proffered in the comments section at http://www.noobslab.com/2011/11/inst...esktop-on.html (see screenshot). It was my downloading and attempting to install
    ftp://tridex.net/repo/ubuntu/pool/ma...-mate-desktop/ that got me here.

Moving on. I do, in fact, have Mate installed and am posting with it now. But I have to admit that I'm a little hazy on precisedly how that occurred
    cd /fridge/beer | drink && falloverMy first idea was to remove Evolution (since I don't use it anyway), but that would have entailed the accompanying removal of a lot of other packages that I needed to keep in order to retain a functioning os. Next, I thought to just give up getting Mate on Ubuntu and just "sudo apt-get remove

Beans
    Distro

Next, I thought to just give up getting Mate on Ubuntu and just "sudo apt-get remove python-mate-desktop" since it seemed to me to be only partially installed, but the terminal wanted to install it.

So next, I decided to go to synaptic package manager and untick the python-mate-desktop box to either unmark or remove, whichever the case might have been. But I couldn't get anything done there because of broken packages (i.e., unmet dependencies relating to python-mate-desktop). Whenever I clicked on "Fix Broken Packages" under the Edit tab, Synaptic would that the unmet dependencies were resolved, but when I clicked on "Apply," I'd be told to Fix Broken Packages first.

So then I decided to go repositories and uncheck the Linux Mint repositories, reload, and hope that all the Mate packages would have disappeared. So I did that.

After I had another beer, I was distracted and went to close synaptic but was met with the message box wanting to know if I really wanted to quit and discard unapplied changes? Well, no (although I didn't quite recall exactly what those changes were). So I clicked on "Apply," and viola! a lot of Mate packages were being installed!

I logged out and logged back in to Mate.

To tell you the truth, finally getting Mate installed was rather anti-climactic. However, there is one good thing: I can drag and drop from the home folder to the terminal without the terminal disappearing when I click on the package I want to drag and drop. Can't do that with Unity. Nor Gnome Shell.

Thank you very much for all the responses.