Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remastersys questions.

Beans

Remastersys questions.

Hi. I am using Remastersys but after I read all its descriptions still don't quite understand the 4 kinds of backup.

1. Backup whole system
    I used this once, but after that I don't know what to do? And where is the file it backed up?

2. Distcdfs, Dist, Disto. What are the differences? I don't know what is a filesystem.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Remastersys questions.

This may help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    This may help.
    Thanks. But I think that link is outdated and contains misinformation too?

"Dist: allows you to create a backup, sans your personal data, allowing you to share the "remastered" copy with other people."
    ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bonedriven View Post
    Hi. I am using Remastersys but after I read all its descriptions still don't quite understand the 4 kinds of backup.

1. Backup whole system
    I used this once, but after that I don't know what to do? And where is the file it backed up?

2. Distcdfs, Dist, Disto. What are the differences? I don't know what is a filesystem.

Thanks.
    Dist
    Makes a usable Ubuntu environment that you can give to people, based on your installed software and configs etc, but excluding all personal info.

cdfs
    Can't see any mention of it, but it will be the same as dist except a live cd version.

Disto
    No idea where you saw that

If you can provide the link where you got this info, I might be able to help more.

Bodsda
    computer-howto
    Linux is not windows
    Fluxbox & Flux menu how to
    Programming is an art. Learn it, Live it, Love it!

Beans

In this link:

4) to make a distributable livecd/dvd of your system

Code:
    sudo remastersys dist
    5) to make a distributable livecd/dvd filesystem only

Code:
    sudo remastersys dist cdfs
    6) to make a distributable iso named custom.iso but only if the cdfs is already present

Code:
    sudo remastersys dist iso custom.iso
    cdfs and iso options should only be used if you wish to modify something on the cd before the iso is created. An example of this would be to modify the isolinux portion of the livecd/dvd

I have read your post and the explanation above. But I still don't understand the difference between them.

Anyway, what I want is to build my os in my vmware machine on my own laptop. Then I use remastersys to make it a custom live usb bootable os which I can use in my workplace. And it would the best if it can be a persistent live usb os too.
    Last edited by bonedriven; February 6th, 2012 at 12:32 AM.

Beans

Backup whole system
    The custom-backup.iso file (in my case) was located in /home/remastersys/remastersys. (Click on Filesystem in Places first, then /home/remastersys/remastersys ... ). Don't know why there are 2 remastersys folders in my case

If you want to make a live dvd, open a burning program eg. Brasero and choose "Burn image" - "burn an existing CD/DVD image to disc".
    Choose a low burning speed.

If you wanted to make a live usb, maybe use the .iso file with Unetbootin, or even Startup Disk Creator - I don't know for sure if these work, I've only ever burned live dvds.

If you want to share your remastered distro - use "dist" option.
    The "backup" option contains your own user files, so if you have personal files in /home they will be included in your new distro.

Someone here has made a live usb stick with a remastersys .iso:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...-usb-stick.htm

Beans

Just did an experiment ...

I took a recent remastersys custom-backup.iso file, opened Startup Disk Creator on Linux Mint 9 and created a live bootable usb stick with 2gb of persistence (on a 4gb SanDisk Cruzer).

It's working fine - am posting from it now.

When I booted up with it, at the remastersys bootsplash, I pressed Tab, and typed at the end of the line:
    live acpi=off
    I should mention that I used "backup" mode, and that I have no data in my /home - I have a separate data partition symlinked to /home. So the .iso was well under the 4gb file size limit.

Also, in my source system (gnome) I have installed "ubiquity-frontend-gtk" from Synaptic Package Manager. You need this in the system you're backing up if you want to install your live usb to a hard drive.
    Without it, there is no install option on your live usb/dvd at boot.

Beans

Thank you, Brizvegan!

Luckily, I don't need to install it to a hard drive (against the rules of our univerisity?).

I just built a live cd iso with Remastersys dist mode in my vmware machine, and used LiLi to create a persistent live usb. But don't know why when I boot it up, it showed "Invalid or corrupted kernel image".

And now I seem to understand what is backup mode and dist mode of Remaster. But what about the other two, "Distcdfs" and "Distiso"? In what circumstances should I use those?

Beans

when I boot it up, it showed "Invalid or corrupted kernel image".
    Can you boot your live usb? Does it boot up to the desktop? Is it usable?

But what about the other two, "Distcdfs" and "Distiso"? In what circumstances should I use those?
    I don't know, to be honest

I just know that the "simple" modes of "backup" and "dist" have worked ok for me.

This website may shed a little more light on "Distcdfs" and "Distiso":
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/creating-c...mastersys.html
    cdfs and iso options should only be used if you wish to modify something on the cd before the iso is created. An example of this would be to modify the isolinux portion of the livecd/dvd
    You could try the Remastersys forum as well:
    http://www.remastersys.com/forums/in...lj5&board=38.0

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Brizvegan View Post
    Can you boot your live usb? Does it boot up to the desktop? Is it usable?
    I am not sure what you mean. I created an iso file with remaster in my vmware machine (Dist mode). I copied the custom.iso to my host machine. Then I used LiLi(usb bootable system creater) to create the persistent live usb on my 8G pendrive with it. Then I tried to boot it up and failed.

I had the options to choose during boot though:"1. persistent mode; 2. Live cd mode...etc." But all of them lead me to the same error message "Invalid or corrupted kernel image".
    Last edited by bonedriven; February 6th, 2012 at 12:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast