Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC iPlayer installation problems

Beans

BBC iPlayer installation problems

Hi, I'm completely new to Ubuntu - running the 11.10 version. I am trying to install the BBC i player desktop version. I have done the get iplayer and the get iplayer 2.80 is showing in my downloads but I don't know what to do with these files now! The download is full of files but how to I actually get BBC i player on my desktop? Please help, thanks

Beans

Re: BBC iPlayer installation problems

I tried to download it, but the page keeps loading and loading without ever doing anything.
    Could you post a direct link to the download file?

Beans

Thumbs down Re: BBC iPlayer installation problems

I thought the Beeb had pulled the linux client a little while ago... again...

EDIT:

Re read the original post...

get_iplayer is a command line tool - there is no gui and is not the same thing as the "official" bbc desktop client.

Easiest way to installl is through the ppa

ppa:jon-hedgerows/get-iplayer
    Last edited by satanselbow; February 5th, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
    Code:
    cd /fridge/beer | drink && fallover

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm not sure what your problem is. On my system (10.04) I simply go here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/install

click "Install BBC IPlayer Desktop" and then when it gives me the option to open or run the file I click open. The rest is automated.

I share SatansElbow's suprise, the file is actually an adobe air file, which I thought no longer ran on Linux, I'm guessing iplayer must still be using an older version......

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carranty View Post
    I'm not sure what your problem is. On my system (10.04) I simply go here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/install

click "Install BBC IPlayer Desktop" and then when it gives me the option to open or run the file I click open. The rest is automated.
    I do the same thing with opera and chromium and nothing happens; strange...

Quote Originally Posted by carranty View Post
    I share SatansElbow's suprise, the file is actually an adobe air file, which I thought no longer ran on Linux, I'm guessing iplayer must still be using an older version......
    It says ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04 at the bottom of the page.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The BBC iplayer help page has links to about BBC iPlayer which says that the computer must support BBC iPlayer. It is a link to this page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashp...ech-specs.html

So, step one is install Adobe Flash 11.

And then there is this page:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...g_bbc_iplayer/

Which says this:

We also offer BBC iPlayer Desktop, which is designed to let Mac and Windows machines download TV programmes so you can save them to watch later.
    No mention of Linux. And here is why:

BBC iPlayer Desktop is powered by Adobe Air (Adobe Integrated Runtime). When you install BBC iPlayer Desktop you also install the Adobe Air components. Air may already be installed on your computer as it is being used by many other applications.
    Adobe does not support Adobe Air on Linux any more. I do not think that you can get a 64bit Linux Adobe Air.

I tried to get the Windows version working through Wine. Stuff installed fine and worked but for one thing. It would not access the internet. In my case I wanted to use the Met Office desktop weather widget.

This could be the source of the problem.

Regards.

P.S. I can access all UK TV channels including BBC iPlayer through Firefox or Chromium. No problem.

P.P.S. The link to /iplayer/install is not doing anything but put a swirling icon on the page. It must be the wrong kind of snow.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; February 5th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

So it is no longer possible to install the BBC iplayer desktop onto a Linux run machine? Is there no way I can install an old version of Air and then downlaod the iplayer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo35 View Post
    So it is no longer possible to install the BBC iplayer desktop onto a Linux run machine? Is there no way I can install an old version of Air and then downlaod the iplayer?
    Well like I say, it works fine on mine. Why don't you just download it from the site like I did? Is it giving you an endless loading screen?

Beans

Yes that's right - I click on install BBC i player and it just loads and loads for a while and then stops, as if it has done it but it hasn't!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Make sure TV is available in your area also . I can only srteam radio in the US .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast