Thread: Force a misbehaving application to quit icon - freezes computer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Force a misbehaving application to quit icon - freezes computer.

In Ubuntu 11.10 - "Force a misbehaving application to quit" icon, freezes my computer and I'm unable to do anything else, other than to reboot the system. Is there a fix for this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Force a misbehaving application to quit icon - freezes computer.

I'm not familiar with that error, but IIRC that button invokes the xkill command. Do you observe the same behavior if you run xkill from a terminal?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Carborundum View Post
    I'm not familiar with that error, but IIRC that button invokes the xkill command. Do you observe the same behavior if you run xkill from a terminal?
    Once I press the "force a misbehaving application to quit" icon the program opens and the mouse curser is replaced by a + symbol. from there the system freezes immediately and I'm unable to click on anything else. Can't use the keyboard either. The system locks up tight so I have to reboot to get things working again. This happens every time I use it. I'm afraid I'm unfamilier with xkill, how do I try this in the terminal?
    Last edited by a.v.l; February 5th, 2012 at 05:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t), write "xkill" (without the quotation marks) and press the Enter key.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Carborundum View Post
    Open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t), write "xkill" (without the quotation marks) and press the Enter key.
    Thank you, that worked perfectly without freezing.

Beans

Cool Re: Force a misbehaving application to quit icon - freezes computer.

Quote Originally Posted by a.v.l View Post
    Once I press the "force a misbehaving application to quit" icon the program opens and the mouse curser is replaced by a + symbol. from there the system freezes immediately and I'm unable to click on anything else. Can't use the keyboard either. The system locks up tight so I have to reboot to get things working again. This happens every time I use it. I'm afraid I'm unfamilier with xkill, how do I try this in the terminal?
    On Ubuntu 12.10 this happened to me too. I found that if I crtl-Alt-F1, login on that screen, then

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    ln -s /usr/bin/gnome-panel
    sudo su -
    I made a shell script as root: "killgnomepanel.sh"
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# killgnomepanel.sh

killall gnome-panel
    Back in the command prompt:
    Code:
    chmod +x killgnomepanel.sh
    ./killgnomepanel.sh
    exit
    that it would result in the "killing" of "the kill program" that froze the x window screen session. I switch back to that screen via Alt-F7, then restart the gnome-panel by double clicking the link to it that I just created above on the desktop.

On another occasion I found that a terminate or kill of gnome-panel would not work if running as a regular user who supposedly owned the gnome-panel process, but instead, killing worked nicely as root, the super user.
    Last edited by oldspammer; November 25th, 2012 at 12:34 PM.