Thread: Clone of Irfanview for Linux Ubuntu?

Beans

Clone of Irfanview for Linux Ubuntu?

Hello, I am using irfanview with wine, since there is no clone of it for Linux over years. Irfanview is light, goes fast, and extremely powerful. It is a sort of eog for some users, but does much more.

Press F12, and you have a cool extra features. You can even copy and paste within a picture with this selection.

We create a 1:1 clone for Linux? When?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Clone of Irfanview for Linux Ubuntu?

honeybear yes irfanview is amazing and works fine under wine

there is imagemagick in ubuntu which is in repositories i think and is
    even better but is command line altho very intuitive

here are some examples of what it can do
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I used Irfan-View in my windows days, and apart from Gimp it was almost the only graphics application I ever used. I agree totally it is a terrific application. If you go to the IV website you will find some questions about a linux version, but the developer says (more or less) that it is not worth it as it runs so well under wine.

I have to admit that he is correct; even though it is 6 years since I used windows, so I don't really know how much IV has developed on that platform, I looked recently at IV-4.3 and it is still largely as I remember it; very good. However, for my purposes it is no better than gthumb. Have a look at that if you don't know it and it may surprise you.

If you still prefer IV download the windows setup executables and run them under wine to install it. You will also need the winetricks package to install the mfc42.dll (I think that is the missing file), or if you run windows version as well you can simply copy that .dll file to your ~/.wine folder in the same sub-folder as it was in the windows install.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

thanx for gthumb Green One never knew not bad at all
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

(btw... in this thread,... I meant a clone)

Irfan-view indeed is great

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I too use irfanview for batch processing of images such as resizing and renaming. It is by far the best tool out there. I fid it runs very nicely under wine though it does have a few visual glitches when doing batch operations. I would of course love for there to be a native linux version but I certainly can't complain since the one works under wine so well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcarlowise View Post
    I too use irfanview for batch processing of images such as resizing and renaming. It is by far the best tool out there. I fid it runs very nicely under wine though it does have a few visual glitches when doing batch operations. I would of course love for there to be a native linux version but I certainly can't complain since the one works under wine so well.
    a clone for linux would be great. Since the person coding it is alone, linux would be a chance to make it even better, ... or we could easily recreate/clone it... with gtk

Beans

I use the gimp and imagemagick. In windows I used irfanview and I liked it, and I have tried it with wine, it works but I prefer the gimp and imagemagick. They are powerful