Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the pae kernel

Beans

Re: Why the pae kernel

I still have an old Thinkpad T40 with a Pentium M, an impressive machine like all thinkpads. Haven't tried yet precise on it, oneiric works like a charm.
    In case there is only PAE support I'll chroot the iso and replace the kernel with a non-PAE one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lucazade View Post
    In case there is only PAE support I'll chroot the iso and replace the kernel with a non-PAE one.
    I fear this will become more difficult, as time marches on...

SOURCE: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePango...verview/Alpha2
    ( PrecisePangolin/TechnicalOverview/Alpha2 - Ubuntu Wiki )

Linux kernel 3.2

Alpha-2 includes the 3.2.0-12.21 Ubuntu kernel which is based on the most recent v3.2.2 upstream stable kernel. This is an update from the 3.2.0-2.5 kernel which shipped in Alpha-1 (based on upstream v3.2-rc3 ). As with Alpha-1, the Alpha-2 kernel no longer carries a separate amd64 -server and -generic kernel flavor. These have been merged to help reduce the maintenance burden over the life of this LTS release. AUFS also remains disabled in the Alpha-2 kernel. Anyone needing AUFS is encouraged to migrate to overlayfs. We have pulled in the latest overlayfs updates to the Alpha-2 kernel. We have also dropped a set of seccomp_filter patches we were carrying as there were no consumers of these patches at this time. We will re-evaluate their necessity in future Ubuntu releases.
    Last edited by VinDSL; February 5th, 2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Typo Demon Strikes Again!
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    I fear this will become more difficult, as time marches on...

SOURCE: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePango...verview/Alpha2
    ( PrecisePangolin/TechnicalOverview/Alpha2 - Ubuntu Wiki )
    oh my gosh!
    Then I'll use a vanilla kernel or I will bump Oneiric kernel version.
    thanks for the info anyway

Beans

I just downloaded Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Daily Build to check it out. I've been using Ubuntu on my Thinkpad T42 since 10.04. I put the ISO on a USB to create a live usb using Unetbootin. When I went to boot, I got the message saying that the Kernel needs PAE and my CPU doesn't support it. Never got that before.

I didn't even know what PAE was until yesterday. I found this thread and many others discussing the potential decision to drop support for non-PAE CPUs. My ThinkPad T42 has an Intel Pentium M processeor with 400MHz FSB. Apparently Intel decided to cut corners and not support PAE with this processor. I'd hate to have to ditch Ubuntu just because of the non-PAE CPU support. The Thinkpad works fine with 11.10 currently installed.

Sounds like the decision has been to delay dropping support until 12.10. My understanding is that PAE kernel version will be the default for the i386 iso. Does that mean there will be another ISO file for non-PAE, or do you have to somehow change out the kernel in the default ISO? How would I go about merging (not sure if that's the right terminology) the non-PAE kernel with the i386 iso file to create a live USB to try out 12.04?

Would someone be able to outline the steps? Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/897786

Reading it, I think you might be able to use the alternate CD as that uses debian-installer instead of ubiquity. I'm not positive though. I'm downloading the alterate x86 cd to try out in a virtualbox without PAE enabled as we speak.

Update: The alternate CD also only includes the PAE kernel to boot. I updated the ISO with the the non-pae kernel extracted out and placed as vmlinuz, but then all the modules are built pointing to generic-pae and not generic so they both fail to boot fully boot.
    Last edited by xyzzyman; February 5th, 2012 at 10:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Red face Re: Why the pae kernel

Kansasnoob,

AUFS also remains disabled in the Alpha-2 kernel. Anyone needing AUFS is encouraged to migrate to overlayfs.
    What is "AUFS" and how do I migrate to overlayfs when booting the install CD? Or install USB or install booting directly from the .iso file?

Thanks, Jerry

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Kansasnoob,

What is "AUFS" and how do I migrate to overlayfs when booting the install CD? Or install USB or install booting directly from the .iso file?

Thanks, Jerry
    If you have to ask you don't use it. It allows directories to be "together" and overlap each other. It's been in the process of being phased out for awhile, now it's just complete. I've always disabled it when compiling my own kernel from Ubuntu sources (It's not in mainline)

Beans
    Hidden!

I read the the installer is supposed to fall back to non-pae on those CPU's that don't support it, but the fallback isn't working yet (sorry, I can't remember where I read it).

The non-pae kernel should be around in Precise, which is supported for another 5 years, so Pentium M owners can disband the lynch mob (at least until Precise is EOL).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
    I read the the installer is supposed to fall back to non-pae on those CPU's that don't support it, but the fallback isn't working yet (sorry, I can't remember where I read it).

The non-pae kernel should be around in Precise, which is supported for another 5 years, so Pentium M owners can disband the lynch mob (at least until Precise is EOL).
    That's the thing, no one can find where any of the developers have said that. I've searched launchpad and the kernel teams mailing lists and can't find anything (I have a core 2 duo not a pentium M so I really don't care. lol)

It's going to add at least 30-40 megs to the ISO though so I'm wondering if they really are going to.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There was a discussion about this at the technical board meeting December 12 2011, you can view the minutes here

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast