Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the pae kernel

Beans

Re: Why the pae kernel

Quote Originally Posted by xyzzyman View Post
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ty_pae64&num=1 for lots of benchmarks comparing 686, 686PAE and x64. That atom is one of the few that's 64bits so who knows what improvement you'd see with a 64bit install. You must attempt it in the name of science!
    The Atom 230 (which I have) is 32 bit. The Atom 330 is 64 bit

I almost spent the extra $10 to $15 for the 330, but I prefer canned soup to ramen noodle

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    I have a 64-bit computer, but I always use a 32-bit Linux installation. Fewer headaches. I've never encountered something I couldn't do that required 64-bits. Performance is great. I've got 4 GB RAM in my current rig, and I don't think I've ever exceeded 2 GB or so in actual use.

Perhaps one day, when the world is completely 64-bit, it will be a more compelling choice. But for now, 32-bit works just fine for me.
    In my particular case, a few months ago I got my first 64bit hardware, AMD Sempron LE-1250, and I installed both 32bit Oneiric and 64bit Oneiric.

It's used mostly for streaming flash videos (I no longer have cable TV) and the 64bit install would use about 80% to 90% of my 2GB of RAM. But the 32bit install never goes above about 40% of RAM usage

So IMHO, if someone has 64bit hardware, go ahead and try both. Then use whatever works best for you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno81 View Post
    So....if I can't buy a new laptop I can't run Ubuntu Precise Pangolin and other future versions of Ubuntu?
    Who said that?

AFAIK from reading, but I could be wrong, there is nothing wrong with the "PAE" kernel. The elimination of "non-pae" is likely intentional, but I'm not 100% sure

Just ignore those who insist it's time to throw out your 32 bit hardware, it's nonsense!

Beans

I'm not quite prepared to mark this solved yet, over the next couple of weeks I'll try to learn more about this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by lucazade View Post
    64bit myths:
    Uses more disk space = false
    Allocates double of ram compared to 32bit = true
    You're right on everything except 64bit using double the RAM. The pointers are twice as long, so you wind up using 5-20% more RAM. And unless you are using all your RAM the performance gains are worth it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    The Atom 230 (which I have) is 32 bit. The Atom 330 is 64 bit

I almost spent the extra $10 to $15 for the 330, but I prefer canned soup to ramen noodle
    Oh, I was just going by what Intel lists, and they show the 230 as 64bit, and the 330 just being the dual-core while the 230 is single core.

And if you can afford ramen you're not that poor. Rice & beans is even cheaper. Canned goods and ramen are for people who are too lazy to be very poor and cook. lol I did get the point of buying the day old loaves of bread and using ketchup packets taken from a mcdonalds for about 6 months. Sometimes mixing it up if I could get mustard packets. Then I learned to go to the asian markets, and the joy of 10 pound bags of rice and 5 pound bags of dried beans.

Beans

And if you can afford ramen you're not that poor. Rice & beans is even cheaper. Canned goods and ramen are for people who are too lazy to be very poor and cook. lol I did get the point of buying the day old loaves of bread and using ketchup packets taken from a mcdonalds for about 6 months. Sometimes mixing it up if I could get mustard packets. Then I learned to go to the asian markets, and the joy of 10 pound bags of rice and 5 pound bags of dried beans.
    OK, I'm not really poor. I'm not living in a gutter yet. Does that make you happy?

I make decisions regarding what I can or can NOT afford!

But this is all OT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The question was about the PAE kernel because I needed answers! This nonsense about users needing to upgrade to 64 bit is just that, ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!!!!!!!!!!!

And if it continues I'll report future posts to the mods!

We've already had one user ask:

So....if I can't buy a new laptop I can't run Ubuntu Precise Pangolin and other future versions of Ubuntu?
    Happy yet?

Ubuntu is not now, nor has it ever been the domain of the rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xyzzyman View Post
    You're right on everything except 64bit using double the RAM. The pointers are twice as long, so you wind up using 5-20% more RAM. And unless you are using all your RAM the performance gains are worth it.
    from my tests ram usage on a 64bit machines is almost double.. yep, you're right about pointers len

The main disadvantage of 64-bit architectures is that, relative to 32-bit architectures, the same data occupies more space in memory (due to longer pointers and possibly other types, and alignment padding). This increases the memory requirements of a given process and can have implications for efficient processor cache utilization
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lucazade View Post
    from my tests ram usage on a 64bit machines is almost double.. yep, you're right about pointers len
    In order to be Precise (pun intended) You should define „ram usage“ since there is (as far as I know) different way of maintaining pagecache etc...
    If I restrict (with appropriate switches in sysctl and similar) such differences between 32 and 64 bit architecture I do not see more difference than from pointers and similar inherent ones...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can we get this thread back on topic, how wealthy or not someone is irrelevant to the original question.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast