Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the pae kernel

Beans

Re: Why the pae kernel

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    For sure you have to do a fresh install, but I just recently bought my first 64bit hardware. But I'm poor so I reused a matched set of RAM / two 1GB sticks = 2GB / and I found overall performance to be better with i386

I know I could upgrade the RAM for under $50.00 but that's a lot of money to me

I understand. I am in the same boat. I am lucky enough to play with different kinds of hardware because of my job lol. What I have at work and what I have at home are 2 different stories!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    lol wish I could.

You can get a nice dell vostro desktop for 300 bucks from dell.

If you want a new laptop may i suggest a vostro 3000 series from dell. They are awesome. You can also finance through dell for the 10 or 12 bucks a month you are looking for lol.

Nice 17" screen.... have it and love it.

http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/vostro...84,901q5c14135
    My point is that it's a bit ridiculous to suggest that anytime someone encounters a problem they need to rush out and buy new hardware. I'll grant you that some hardware is not viable to support, but I still have an old Intel PII w/256MB of RAM that will run Lubuntu.

It's hardly anything to brag about, and Puppy is even better on it, but old does not equal dead. If it did I'd be dead

Beans

My point is that it's a bit ridiculous to suggest that anytime someone encounters a problem they need to rush out and buy new hardware. I'll grant you that some hardware is not viable to support, but I still have an old Intel PII w/256MB of RAM that will run Lubuntu.

It's hardly anything to brag about, and Puppy is even better on it, but old does not equal dead. If it did I'd be dead
    You don't need to rush out and buy new hardware. The only thing I did was explain what my opinion was of 32 bit and the PAE
    I then offered suggestions for decent 64 bit hardware at a good price if you choose to go that route!

Its all personal choice

Beans

OK, I've done a lot of searching, but before I get started just let me say I wouldn't have freaked out had I not encountered a butt load of other bugs

It appears that the devs had planned on dropping non-PAE in 12.04, but then they decided to postpone that until 12.10. Based on this install it would appear that they changed their minds again

It appears to have nothing to do with the other bugs I encountered

Not a pleasant experience when you're testing iso-images, along with many iso-rebuilds, and a bug causes one to look for things that are different than usual.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a 64-bit computer, but I always use a 32-bit Linux installation. Fewer headaches. I've never encountered something I couldn't do that required 64-bits. Performance is great. I've got 4 GB RAM in my current rig, and I don't think I've ever exceeded 2 GB or so in actual use.

Perhaps one day, when the world is completely 64-bit, it will be a more compelling choice. But for now, 32-bit works just fine for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ty_pae64&num=1 for lots of benchmarks comparing 686, 686PAE and x64. That atom is one of the few that's 64bits so who knows what improvement you'd see with a 64bit install. You must attempt it in the name of science!

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Why the pae kernel

But I'm poor so I reused a matched set of RAM / two 1GB sticks = 2GB / and I found overall performance to be better with i386
    I've heard about worse performance from more than one place. Maybe even more disk space?? not sure about that.

Anyway tried 64bit on precise pangolin and at that time got a - lot - more bugs, so why bother....slower and might? take more space.

Jerry

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Why the pae kernel, avoid it by using AMD64 instead.

Re: Why the pae kernel, avoid it by using AMD64 instead.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    I've heard about worse performance from more than one place. Maybe even more disk space?? not sure about that.

Anyway tried 64bit on precise pangolin and at that time got a - lot - more bugs, so why bother....slower and might? take more space.

Jerry
    64bit myths:

Worse performance, slower = false
    Better performance in cpu intensive tasks = true

Uses more disk space = false
    Allocates double of ram compared to 32bit = true

It has more bugs = false
    Nowadays 64bit is solid as 32bit = true

Beans

So....if I can't buy a new laptop I can't run Ubuntu Precise Pangolin and other future versions of Ubuntu?

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast