Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Why the pae kernel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Why the pae kernel

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    For what it's worth, I downloaded the regular pae I think mini.iso and installed it on this IBM Thinkpad T40 which has no pae flag. Messages during the install were "generic-pae" files being fetched. When I booted the install the /boot files were generic without the pae. Runs fine.

Jerry
    Now download and add the pae kernel and see what happens. Come on, it's science!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: Why the pae kernel

Quote Originally Posted by xyzzyman View Post
    Now download and add the pae kernel and see what happens. Come on, it's science!
    O.K., how do I do that?

Jerry

Beans

I have a request, but first let me state what I currently think to be true. Note that I'm basing this mostly on responses at Launchpad which I think is one of our most trusted sources.

There will be three "official" paths for attaining a non-pae kernel:

#1: Upgrade from Oneiric (11.10)

#2: Upgrade from Lucid (10.04) - this seems quite reasonable since 10.04.4 is due in just a couple of days.

#3: Use the non-pae mini.iso which I'm currently testing:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1924455

Now comes the request

I've already checked with the Lubuntu devs and they will not be rebuilding with the non-pae kernel:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...ry/000367.html

So could someone check with the Xubuntu devs?

I've got my hands full

Once I know what Xubuntu's plan is I can update my OP with totally accurate info

I personally only care about the official Ubuntu policy regarding this change, but I have no problem with others choosing a different path. I have no plans, or desire to create a non-pae rebuild myself.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; February 14th, 2012 at 04:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Why the pae kernel

For what it's worth, this is from an IBM Thinkpad T40 which does not have a pae flag. The install was from the regular mini.iso yesterday, The .iso was dated Feb 9.

During install the messages said "generic-pae" however on booting after install the boot modules were all generic.

So if you're curious like I was, try installing the regular mini.iso on a non-pae pc. It worked for me.

Jerry

Beans
    Distro

Anybody else out there trying anything? This is live 20120214 daily build:

ubuntu@lubuntu:~$ cat /proc/version
    Linux version 3.2.0-15-generic-pae (buildd@zirconium) (gcc version 4.6.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.2-12ubuntu1) ) #24-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 7 23:30:35 UTC 2012

On a T40 that has no pae flag. A few weeks ago, it wouldn't boot because the live environment checked for the pae flag. Maybe the check is broken, and maybe no software is using the pae function?

I'm having fun testing & installing anyway. precise pangolin is supposed to be very LTS, i.e. stable, which is to say "boring" for this tester....not that there aren't bugs, just not any that are stopping me (yet!).

Jerry

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xyzzyman View Post
    Here you are:

jerry@ThinkPad-T40:~$ cat /proc/version
    Linux version 3.2.0-16-generic-pae (buildd@zirconium) (gcc version 4.6.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.2-14ubuntu1) ) #25-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 14 04:00:45 UTC 2012

Installed from
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/da...sktop-i386.iso

precise-desktop-i386.iso 14-Feb-2012 17:25 554M Desktop CD for PC (Intel x86) computers (standard download)

erry@ThinkPad-T40:~$ grep PAE /boot/config-3.2.0-16-generic-pae
    CONFIG_X86_PAE=y

model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1500MHz
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 tm pbe up bts est tm2

synaptic crash on reloading after adding partners to repositories, launchpad bug report started.

Otherwise running fine, removed chromium, added firefox & flash, ... usual install goodies.

Jerry
    Last edited by jerrylamos; February 15th, 2012 at 02:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Talking Re: Why the pae kernel

Okay I got one using the non-pae mini.iso.

It is rather a mess but has a clean non-pae kernel...20120209 mini.iso

Linux greg 3.2.0-16-generic #25-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 14 02:48:46 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I wish I had not tired the install but had gone for command line. The taskel on the 20120209 mini.iso did not have a Lubuntu choice or a Ubuntu with LXDE.. I did try to get lubuntu-desktop eventually for terminal but it said unavailable so I loaded up Ubuntu straight..Then kinda converted to Lubuntu .. Well I am using it right now anyway..

I have the mini.iso from today and I also have another partition just itchin' to be filled maybe tomorrow maybe tonight..

i don;t think new users are gonna want to try this..
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nm_geo View Post
    Okay I got one using the non-pae 20120209 mini.iso

Linux greg 3.2.0-16-generic #25-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 14 02:48:46 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I wish I had not tired the install but had gone for command line. The taskel on the 20120209 mini.iso did not have a Lubuntu choice or a Ubuntu with LXDE..
    Hmmm. I tried the straight regular mini.iso install on a thinkpad without the pae flag.

During install it said it was fetching generic-pae.

After install /boot showed generic and no pae in sight.

And tasksel had lubuntu choice which is what I used.

Runs O.K. but I then in another partition installed the regular lubuntu daily build 20120214 as in post 158 above.

They both run. A little extra getting the mini up to speed, agreed, not something a newbie would prefer.

Jerry
    Last edited by jerrylamos; February 15th, 2012 at 03:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Hmmm. I tried the straight regular mini.iso install on a thinkpad without the pae flag.

During install it said it was fetching generic-pae.

After install /boot showed generic and no pae in sight.

And tasksel had lubuntu choice which is what I used.

Runs O.K. but I then in another partition installed the regular lubuntu daily build 20120214 as in posts above.

They both run. A little extra getting the mini up to speed, agreed, not something a newbie would prefer.

Jerry
    kansasnoob is going to kill -9 us LOL..
    We need to writing this stuff in the testing post. Care to join me..
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast