Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Why the pae kernel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Why the pae kernel

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    precise pangolin 12.04 should not do a check of the pae flag and refuse to boot - see my posts above,

This non-pae non-NX is running lubuntu precise pangolin just fine. I have run ubuntu precise pangolin 12.04 on it but don't at the moment.

Compiz -3D code doesn't run on its level of ATI video, but -2D runs just fine. I've got -2D and -3D on other test pc's so I've been running lubuntu here for testing purposes.

Since this thread came up, I think I'll install -2D in another partition to verify function.

Note this notebook is circa 2005 (from the bios date) which is in my opinion not that old, and it is quite happy to run BBC videos full speed. I don't view this pc as being obsolete.

Now I don't know how to feed this pae info back to development - a launchpad bug?

Thanks, Jerry
    The check is not done by Ubuntu, it's in the mainline kernel source so place the blame correctly. The sauce patches are just supposed to add functionality that hasn't made it to mainline (newer version of apparmor or the ureadahead support) & backports. According to everything I've read about their internal structure for the kernel is that everything they change has to be submit-worthy for upstream change. So if you want the kernel not to check for PAE support you'll have to go upstream and message Linus Torvalds, torvalds@osdl.org. Go ahead. Email him.

Your best bet is to start looking at the kernel source, and figure out why your Pentium M passes the PAE check when no one elses does. That's the best way to learn is to dig and and figure it out yourself sometimes, because you have something different than everyone else.

Beans
    Distro

Wouldn't it be easier if anyone really cares about a 12.04 build with non-PAE kernel, to just make their own build and distribute it when the final release is out? If you look up, alot of the other distro's have already had this discussion and they've gone with PAE in years past.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cool Re: Why the pae kernel

Quote Originally Posted by xyzzyman View Post
    Your best bet is to start looking at the kernel source, and figure out why your Pentium M passes the PAE check when no one elses does. That's the best way to learn is to dig and and figure it out yourself sometimes, because you have something different than everyone else.
    "when no one elses does" do you have some users that have reported this?

Since precise pangolin is running fine on this non-pae pc then checking for the flag is going to block precise pangolin from running on pc's where it will run just fine.

I'm not a developer and have no ability to read/modify/recompile the kernel source.

Jerry

Beans

Wouldn't it be easier if anyone really cares about a 12.04 build with non-PAE kernel, to just make their own build and distribute it when the final release is out? If you look up, alot of the other distro's have already had this discussion and they've gone with PAE in years past.
    My only concern is testing official Ubuntu images and upgrades ................ well, I do give in to using PPA's where needed and tweaking things, but if the two methods for keeping non-pae remain using the non-pae mini.iso and upgrading from either Lucid or Oneiric that's what I'll focus on

If someone else wants to pursue a different path I have no problem with that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    "when no one elses does" do you have some users that have reported this?

Since precise pangolin is running fine on this non-pae pc then checking for the flag is going to block precise pangolin from running on pc's where it will run just fine.

I'm not a developer and have no ability to read/modify/recompile the kernel source.

Jerry
    My thought is simply:

If you have effected hardware please report it!

If your hardware is not effected but you still want to do some testing please test the non-pae mini.iso:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1924455

Or install Lucid and/or Oneiric, then upgrade and be sure that non-pae remains non-pae.

That said, the final Lucid "step-release" comes on the 16th of this month

Beans
    Distro

Something interesting happened, I thought I should share with you. I have a Dell Vostro Laptop which didn't had BIOS PAE support, although the CPU is a Intel C2D that supports PAE. I'm not gonna use this laptop anymore, so I was installing PP "Senior Edition" and will give it to my mother. But I made a very stupid mistake: I had a password set on Boot and forgot what it was (it's been off for months now). And I was really not in the mood to open it, find the battery and remove it to clear the BIOS.

Then a friend of mine knew a guy who sells "master" passwords for any brand of laptop. So, I got in touch with the guy, donated to him via PayPal, sent him my Dell Service Tag number and within minutes se sent me a BIOS password.

It worked, I was inside the BIOS as usual but... the BIOS now had twice more options. And the option to enable NX an PAE was there (it never was, not even in BIOS administrator mode).

I enabled it and tested a 32-Bit PAE-Enabled kernel and, of course, it worked. I mailed the guy again and he told me most "Master" BIOS passwords, for all brands, allow you to set the NX/PAE option.

So, if you got some hardware that should support it cpu-wise, but don't have any options to enable it in the BIOS, consider looking on the net or ask you equipment manufacturer for a BIOS "Master" password and you might be able to enable it.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    Something interesting happened, I thought I should share with you. I have a Dell Vostro Laptop which didn't had BIOS PAE support, although the CPU is a Intel C2D that supports PAE. I'm not gonna use this laptop anymore, so I was installing PP "Senior Edition" and will give it to my mother. But I made a very stupid mistake: I had a password set on Boot and forgot what it was (it's been off for months now). And I was really not in the mood to open it, find the battery and remove it to clear the BIOS.

Then a friend of mine knew a guy who sells "master" passwords for any brand of laptop. So, I got in touch with the guy, donated to him via PayPal, sent him my Dell Service Tag number and within minutes se sent me a BIOS password.

It worked, I was inside the BIOS as usual but... the BIOS now had twice more options. And the option to enable NX an PAE was there (it never was, not even in BIOS administrator mode).

I enabled it and tested a 32-Bit PAE-Enabled kernel and, of course, it worked. I mailed the guy again and he told me most "Master" BIOS passwords, for all brands, allow you to set the NX/PAE option.

So, if you got some hardware that should support it cpu-wise, but don't have any options to enable it in the BIOS, consider looking on the net or ask you equipment manufacturer for a BIOS "Master" password and you might be able to enable it.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    I wonder if flashing the BIOS on some of these Pentium M's would be an option

I'm totally clueless.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I wonder if flashing the BIOS on some of these Pentium M's would be an option

I'm totally clueless.
    While it's possible for microcode to be updated via a BIOS flash, you wouldn't be able to do that much via that sort of update. Those are just very small fixes.

Beans

While it's possible for microcode to be updated via a BIOS flash, you wouldn't be able to do that much via that sort of update. Those are just very small fixes.
    I really had no idea.

ATM I'm going to focus on what I know:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...786/comments/9

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...ry/000367.html

I test, that's what I do. So I'll test the non-pae mini.iso and watch what happens during upgrades from Lucid and Oneiric to Precise.

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Why the pae kernel

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I really had no idea.

ATM I'm going to focus on what I know:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...786/comments/9

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...ry/000367.html

I test, that's what I do. So I'll test the non-pae mini.iso and watch what happens during upgrades from Lucid and Oneiric to Precise.
    For what it's worth, I downloaded the regular pae I think mini.iso and installed it on this IBM Thinkpad T40 which has no pae flag. Messages during the install were "generic-pae" files being fetched. When I booted the install the /boot files were generic without the pae. Runs fine.

Jerry

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast