Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 161

Thread: Why the pae kernel

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,772

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    Apologies for the communication error with dino99, I was unclear in my prior post.

    I know as threads grow, and grow it's hard to keep up, a bit ridiculous for someone to read each and every post when a thread gets several pages long

    So I made some edits to my OP. Please let me know if I made any errors. Many thanks in advance

  2. #102
    dino99's Avatar
    dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nux Jam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Apologies for the communication error with dino99, I was unclear in my prior post.

    I know as threads grow, and grow it's hard to keep up, a bit ridiculous for someone to read each and every post when a thread gets several pages long

    So I made some edits to my OP. Please let me know if I made any errors. Many thanks in advance
    no problem brother, you were right and i was not false simply talking of 2 different tests

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Beans
    69

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    In recent months, I've finally gained complete confidence in 64-bit Linux. The PAE kernel issue is rapidly becoming a moot point. Yes, there are still older systems, and some very downmarket recent CPUs, that are 32-bit, but I don't think that very many are running 4GB of RAM or more. In any case, Ubuntu is rapidly becoming too "heavyweight" for older hardware, short of a minimal install.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NM
    Beans
    1,121
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    My comment #6 here fairly well explains what I'm doing:

    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...uestion/187166



    But testing with 20120208 non-pae mini.iso resulted in failure, no kernel modules could be found on the server!
    Interesting I had the same issue but Julien said he got it done in the Lubuntu users mail. I will try again this weekend with the non-pae mini.iso.. Just maybe he stopped at the kernel install page while we tried to get the linux-generic kernel.
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Beans
    2,491
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Wink Re: Why the pae kernel

    10+ year old 2002?? IBM Thinkpad R31 running lubuntu precise pangolin A2:

    [CODE]jerry@Thinkpad-R31:~$ grep PAE /boot/config-3.2.0-14-generic-pae
    CONFIG_X86_PAE=y
    jerry@Thinkpad-R31:~$ ls /boot
    abi-3.2.0-14-generic-pae grub memtest86+.bin System.map-3.2.0-14-generic-pae
    config-3.2.0-14-generic-pae initrd.img-3.2.0-14-generic-pae memtest86+_multiboot.bin vmlinuz-3.2.0-14-generic-pae
    jerry@Thinkpad-R31:~$

    jerry@Thinkpad-R31:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 11
    model name : Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1066MHz
    stepping : 1
    microcode : 0x1d
    cpu MHz : 1066.566
    cache size : 256 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
    bogomips : 2133.13
    clflush size : 32
    cache_alignment : 32
    address sizes : 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
    power management:
    MemTotal: 499344 kB
    [CODE]

    Note that old Celeron does have a pae flag.

    Runs internet O.K. videos are pretty jerky.

    Jerry

    p.s biggest ubuntu problems have been the Intel graphics controller:
    Code:
    jerry@Thinkpad-R31:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 04)
    which has not run compiz since Intrepid. No problem to me I even run the newere pc's Unity-2D to get rid of Compiz bugs and Compiz overhead even when running full screen applications...
    Last edited by jerrylamos; February 10th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,772

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    It looks like you can totally mimic the mini.iso using the alternate CD this way:

    Select language

    Press F4

    Select Install Command Line System

    Press enter

    Then the CLI install begins, but sadly you'll still be faced with the same errors, like:

    No network interface found

    No kernel modules found

    So, ATM installing a non-pae system is just a dream

    Adding, for the anal among us, I do NOT need non-pae but some people will need it!

    If I limited my testing to only what effects me I wouldn't really be a tester

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,772

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    10+ year old 2002?? IBM Thinkpad R31 running lubuntu precise pangolin A2:

    [CODE]jerry@Thinkpad-R31:~$ grep PAE /boot/config-3.2.0-14-generic-pae
    CONFIG_X86_PAE=y
    jerry@Thinkpad-R31:~$ ls /boot
    abi-3.2.0-14-generic-pae grub memtest86+.bin System.map-3.2.0-14-generic-pae
    config-3.2.0-14-generic-pae initrd.img-3.2.0-14-generic-pae memtest86+_multiboot.bin vmlinuz-3.2.0-14-generic-pae
    jerry@Thinkpad-R31:~$

    jerry@Thinkpad-R31:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 11
    model name : Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1066MHz
    stepping : 1
    microcode : 0x1d
    cpu MHz : 1066.566
    cache size : 256 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
    bogomips : 2133.13
    clflush size : 32
    cache_alignment : 32
    address sizes : 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
    power management:
    MemTotal: 499344 kB
    [CODE]

    Note that old Celeron does have a pae flag.

    Runs internet O.K. videos are pretty jerky.

    Jerry

    p.s biggest ubuntu problems have been the Intel graphics controller:
    Code:
    jerry@Thinkpad-R31:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 04)
    which has not run compiz since Intrepid. No problem to me I even run the newere pc's Unity-2D to get rid of Compiz bugs and Compiz overhead even when running full screen applications...
    This is not about being able to run Compiz. Some people can't install at all

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    10+ year old 2002?? IBM Thinkpad R31 running lubuntu precise pangolin A2:
    That's irrelevant to this thread and to your Pentium M system, which doesn't have pae...

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Caprica
    Beans
    1,995
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    (Keep in mind I'm really tired and haven't really read the entire discussion.)

    What if you add a mem=4096M kernel parameter at the kernel cmdline? Wouldn't that sort of override CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y and act like if CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y was set in the kernel config? Or then you just get a panic?
    (I don't have non-pae hw to test).

    Regards,
    Effenberg

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,772

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    (Keep in mind I'm really tired and haven't really read the entire discussion.)

    What if you add a mem=4096M kernel parameter at the kernel cmdline? Wouldn't that sort of override CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y and act like if CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y was set in the kernel config? Or then you just get a panic?
    (I don't have non-pae hw to test).

    Regards,
    Effenberg
    No idea, but all suggestions are welcome

    Since I don't have any effected hardware I can't effectively test that but I certainly hope someone will.

    Many thanks

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •