Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 161

Thread: Why the pae kernel

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NM
    Beans
    1,121
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Smile Re: Why the pae kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    BTW I think this link should always list the latest mini.iso:

    http://www.us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubu...tboot/non-pae/

    It's been a long time since I used one, as I recall not very multi-boot friendly
    Decided to try the non-pae mini.iso this afternoon after cloning my HD. Wish i had better results to report, the non-pae did not install a kernel from the archive.. So I decide to flush the attempt and see what I could do with the pae mini.iso which did grab a kernel and I am waiting on the lubuntu-desktop to complete to see if it worked. We will see..

    I will probably try that non-pae mini again this weekend when I have more time.
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,346

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by nm_geo View Post
    Decided to try the non-pae mini.iso this afternoon after cloning my HD. Wish i had better results to report, the non-pae did not install a kernel from the archive.. So I decide to flush the attempt and see what I could do with the pae mini.iso which did grab a kernel and I am waiting on the lubuntu-desktop to complete to see if it worked. We will see..

    I will probably try that non-pae mini again this weekend when I have more time.
    I was just going to report the same thing ........... no kernel modules found

    Also the mini.iso's are notorious for "no network interface found" errors. IMHO it makes almost more sense to just install Oneiric and upgrade.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NM
    Beans
    1,121
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I was just going to report the same thing ........... no kernel modules found

    Also the mini.iso's are notorious for "no network interface found" errors. IMHO it makes almost more sense to just install Oneiric and upgrade.
    I would agree but i am getting it installed on my laptop right now. Well it is the pae kernel but I wanted to see the mini.iso work or not work. It sure ain't saving me any time.. Slow as Xmas here. The alternate CD seems to be the best method for me to install anything.. Ubiquity hates me too
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NM
    Beans
    1,121
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I was just going to report the same thing ........... no kernel modules found

    Also the mini.iso's are notorious for "no network interface found" errors. IMHO it makes almost more sense to just install Oneiric and upgrade.
    Okay that would be interesting I have an Oneric that I might just try that on. Any bets I will be offered a linux-image that has PAE in it.

    You know I reverted to the non-pae in my Ubuntu PP 12.04 and the very next upgrade wanted to install the PAE kernel.. I think they want us to use the PAE kernel which I can run just fine on all my hardware.
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Beans
    659
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Wink Re: Why the pae kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by nm_geo View Post
    Okay that would be interesting I have an Oneric that I might just try that on. Any bets I will be offered a linux-image that has PAE in it.

    You know I reverted to the non-pae in my Ubuntu PP 12.04 and the very next upgrade wanted to install the PAE kernel.. I think they want us to use the PAE kernel which I can run just fine on all my hardware.
    They aren't migrating to PAE kernel so much the large memory support, but as the fact it then enables NX-bit support which is very effective on protecting from buffer overflow exploits. Maybe it's 'cuz they know of a huge security flaw that can't be patched other than by turning on PAE and they just can't tell us!! I have no tin foil to make a new hat, and aluminum is not as effective.

    Seriously though, I don't know why some people are against running a PAE kernel, as it's not going to harm performance or anything. Anyone who is worried about performance is probably compiling their own kernel anyways specific to just their own hardware.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NM
    Beans
    1,121
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    [QUOTE=xyzzyman; snip .. I have no tin foil to make a new hat, and aluminum is not as effective.

    Seriously though, I don't know why some people are against running a PAE kernel, as it's not going to harm performance or anything. Anyone who is worried about performance is probably compiling their own kernel anyways specific to just their own hardware.[/QUOTE]

    I totally agree with everything you said, but we are testers and we like a challenge. So we put on our little tin foil hats on and get after it...

    All my hardware loves pae kernels.. In fact I have no fault with them either.

    My mini.iso finally finished here on my laptop and other than the login page blinks out and I see partial Unity it worked.. LOL Oh well, I have a good install of Lubuntu on another partition that works as it should. I think it may need some breakage now.. out
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,346

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    I just decided to have a look at a Oneiric --> Precise upgrade that I did during iso/upgrade testing, and it had remained pure non-pae, but I decided to update it and things get strange. The upgrade installs some pae parts:

    Code:
    linux-generic (3.2.0.12.12) to 3.2.0.15.15
    linux-headers-generic (3.2.0.12.12) to 3.2.0.15.15
    linux-headers-generic-pae (3.2.0.12.12) to 3.2.0.15.15
    linux-image-generic (3.2.0.12.12) to 3.2.0.15.15
    But only the non-pae shows up in grub:

    Code:
    lance@lance-desktop:~$ sudo update-grub
    [sudo] password for lance: 
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-15-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-15-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-12-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-12-generic
    Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    Just FYI the pae kernel works fine for me too

  8. #98
    dino99's Avatar
    dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nux Jam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I just decided to have a look at a Oneiric --> Precise upgrade that I did during iso/upgrade testing, and it had remained pure non-pae, but I decided to update it and things get strange. The upgrade installs some pae parts:

    Code:
    linux-generic (3.2.0.12.12) to 3.2.0.15.15
    linux-headers-generic (3.2.0.12.12) to 3.2.0.15.15
    linux-headers-generic-pae (3.2.0.12.12) to 3.2.0.15.15
    linux-image-generic (3.2.0.12.12) to 3.2.0.15.15
    But only the non-pae shows up in grub:

    Code:
    lance@lance-desktop:~$ sudo update-grub
    [sudo] password for lance: 
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-15-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-15-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-12-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-12-generic
    Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    Just FYI the pae kernel works fine for me too
    How can you says its working as linux-image-generic-pae has not been installed ? So you are still running the "generic" kernel, not the "pae".

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,346

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    How can you says its working as linux-image-generic-pae has not been installed ? So you are still running the "generic" kernel, not the "pae".
    Where do I say "it's working"?

    I only said the latest update installed some pae parts

    The separate statement, "Just FYI the pae kernel works fine for me too", is in regards to the fact that I'm having no problems with the pae kernel. I'm just looking for a reasonable method of installing a non-pae system from scratch so we'll have an answer for those who really need non-pae.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,346

    Re: Why the pae kernel

    My comment #6 here fairly well explains what I'm doing:

    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...uestion/187166

    Here's what I know ...... errm, more accurately "what I think I know" ....... so far:

    (1) Upgrades from Oneiric w/non-pae to Precise remain non-pae, so those performing upgrades should be OK.

    (2) Using the non-pae mini.iso should work:

    http://www.us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubu...tboot/non-pae/

    Now, I'd think both of those procedures will be problematic for those without fairly fast ethernet. Additionally I need to do some testing on my own with the mini.iso, for example I'm unsure about the need for "--no-install-recommends" when installing the various desktop environments.

    (3) I'm currently waiting for a definitive answer from the Lubuntu devs as to whether or not they'll rebuild their iso's with the non-pae kernel. It would seem somewhat sensible for Lubuntu and Xubuntu to do so since their target audience is older, less powerful hardware.

    So ultimately I need some time to get some additional answers, and to perform some testing. I will be responding to both of these forum threads as I learn more:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1919647

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1870442

    Please be patient, my target date for having a definitive answer is March 1st (the proposed release date for Precise Beta 1).
    But testing with 20120208 non-pae mini.iso resulted in failure, no kernel modules could be found on the server!
    Last edited by kansasnoob; February 10th, 2012 at 03:51 PM.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •