Thread: Burning MP3 CDs (for the car)

Hybrid View

Beans

Cool Burning MP3 CDs (for the car)

Hi,

So I am quite new to Ubuntu (and these forums) so apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum or anything.

I am trying, as the title says, to burn MP3 CDs for use in my car. NOT burn MP3s to regular audio CD - there are a ton of apps for that and I found them, thanks

I am aware Brasero has a "data CD" function, but have tried this and it didnt work in my car (but to be fair I'm not sure about the burn quality as it was on a laptop, might try slower burn later).

What I am worried about is the fact that iTunes [ ] has three options when burning to disc:
    1) Audio CD
    2) MP3 CD
    3) Data CD
    and I am worried brasero is doing the equivalent of option 3 here, which perhaps is not quite the same as option 2 (although again, I must admit I dont know this for sure: perhaps options 2 and 3 are the same except 2 has no folder structure??)

Was just wondering if someone knew for sure how to do this as google turns up only results of how to burn .mp3s to audio CD (ie convert to .wav first), whether I need another program etc...

Anyway sorry for the essay, just wanted to avoid any confusion!!

Linux love
    x

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Burning MP3 CDs (for the car)

Burn it as a Data CD. As far as I'm aware, there's no difference between "Data CD" and "MP3 CD"

I'd have thought the problem was with the burn itself.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You mention iTunes, and that worries me a bit as I wonder whether the DRM problem is causing your difficulties.

I hasten to add that I have never used, nor even seen iTunes in action, so I may be speaking out of turn here, however, it is worth checking out.

Beans

OK Steeperton I will give it another go then.

A little more intensive googling (of the difference between the two in iTunes) returned that MP3 CD will only burn MP3 files whereas data CD will burn MP3 files and any video files/other files if they are in the same playlist, which kinda seems pretty obvious now I know.

Guess I just thought:
    Audio CD - CD players
    MP3 CD - MP3 CD players
    Data CD - Computers etc

Should I change thread type to "Solved" or something? (sorry its probably in the readme but im at work right now)

Thx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You should be fine with "data cd", I've done that with no problems and it works. Try burning at 8x speed. Modern hi-speed CDRs have such a thin layer that a high speed burn may give "just acceptable" results but a slow speed really makes sure it burns well.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

hi there e4xit MP3 CD is another name for data Cd containing mp3s

see here

so yes brasero or k3b or any program will make a data CD/mp3 CD with no problems

ONLY PROBLEM WILL BE does your CD player in your car handle data CDs

my stereo at home which is ancient only plays audio CD only in the last five years or so do stereos handle data discs too

so i would look into that if you have not already...
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm going to try burning at 8x speed myself too, as I have had the same issue.
    The car cd player happily plays data CDs made with Windows XP third party software, but with Ubuntu's default burner, it only plays the first 20 seconds of some songs, completely misses out others seemingly at random. But it's the same songs which like someone else mentioned indicates an issue with the burn itself. Hmm..
    I'll report back if I have success.

Beans

Try K3b and see if that works better for you.