Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Malware on W7 has me upset

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Malware on W7 has me upset

This is just venting some serious <snip> here, so just bear with me - if you're up to it...

Ubuntu runs on three machines I use and it works wonderfully. It just works. I mean, I couldn't love it more. Its like being married for decades: we both know what goes on, a gesture, a glance and the other just does what has to be done.

Recently, though, I took on a job that requires me to use Windows-only software (Google Sketchup, plus a series of related stuff, like Layout and special PDF gear, if you have to know - no, it doesn't perform well under WINE, very much to my distress).

So I get this computer with Windows 7 and I immediately stick an anti-virus (AVG) and anti-spyware (Spybot S&D) system on it. No need to say that this alone, what, with its resident agents and on-demand scanning stuff, bogs down the otherwise super-efficient four-core, 64-bit hardware to just-about-workable. I also run registry cleaning software every so often and backup all the bloody time - just in case.

You know whats next, don't you? Yep, bloody virus infection. Its called cycbot or somesuch, and it pretty much disables any anti-malware gear on the machine and goes on doing whatever it is that viruses do: subdue your computer into zombie-dom...

So your humble servant - me - checks out what goes and you know what? Its all over the <snip> Internet. This isn't some exotic zero day exploit that some script kid came up with. No, this is major league botnet malware that roams the interwebs.

Its also not easy to get rid of. I'd normally opt for wiping my drive and start from scratch, but my brand-spanking-new Dell Inspiron didn't come with installation media...!? So I spend like ages reading forums, downloading special cleaning software, running said software, getting mediocre results, as in it'll kill suspicious processes and registry entries but a day later I'm back where I was (or better: the virus is back where it was).

Take this as you like, but if I ever have the choice, I'll go for boring, stable, reliable and TRANSPARENT Linux any day.
    Last edited by CharlesA; February 2nd, 2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: snipped language

Beans

Re: Malware on W7 has me upset

Quote Originally Posted by texpat View Post
    This is just venting some serious <snip> here, so just bear with me - if you're up to it...

Ubuntu runs on three machines I use and it works wonderfully. It just works. I mean, I couldn't love it more. Its like being married for decades: we both know what goes on, a gesture, a glance and the other just does what has to be done.

Recently, though, I took on a job that requires me to use Windows-only software (Google Sketchup, plus a series of related stuff, like Layout and special PDF gear, if you have to know - no, it doesn't perform well under WINE, very much to my distress).

So I get this computer with Windows 7 and I immediately stick an anti-virus (AVG) and anti-spyware (Spybot S&D) system on it. No need to say that this alone, what, with its resident agents and on-demand scanning stuff, bogs down the otherwise super-efficient four-core, 64-bit hardware to just-about-workable. I also run registry cleaning software every so often and backup all the bloody time - just in case.

You know whats next, don't you? Yep, bloody virus infection. Its called cycbot or somesuch, and it pretty much disables any anti-malware gear on the machine and goes on doing whatever it is that viruses do: subdue your computer into zombie-dom...

So your humble servant - me - checks out what goes and you know what? Its all over the <snip> Internet. This isn't some exotic zero day exploit that some script kid came up with. No, this is major league botnet malware that roams the interwebs.

Its also not easy to get rid of. I'd normally opt for wiping my drive and start from scratch, but my brand-spanking-new Dell Inspiron didn't come with installation media...!? So I spend like ages reading forums, downloading special cleaning software, running said software, getting mediocre results, as in it'll kill suspicious processes and registry entries but a day later I'm back where I was (or better: the virus is back where it was).

Take this as you like, but if I ever have the choice, I'll go for boring, stable, reliable and TRANSPARENT Linux any day.
    just to be pedantic, cycbot is a trojan/backdoor and not a virus, but does come under the malware definition.

It has been around for a while.

make sure you use upto date definitions in your anti malware solutions.

And always have backups and/or restore points and/or clones of your system which is the first thing you should do upon install or receipt of built system and definately before connecting to the internet then this type of thing is never a problem.

Cheers
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The system admin at your job should have locked the machine down.

I am betting the machine was running on an admin account too.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    The system admin at your job should have locked the machine down.

I am betting the machine was running on an admin account too.
    +1

indeed, if it is a work machine the IT dept should have a backup for easy restore and tied down to try and prevent such things.

System security is always down to the user/admin for the most part

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Let's not be so sure of our secure redoubt that we miss the the PFY (pimply faced youth) who is even now ready to release into the wild an siege engine that, sapper like, will reduce our ramparts to rubble in a great explosion and leave our flank open to those who besiege us.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Let's not be so sure of our secure redoubt that we miss the the PFY (pimply faced youth) who is even now ready to release into the wild an siege engine that, sapper like, will reduce our ramparts to rubble in a great explosion and leave our flank open to those who besiege us.
    no such thing as a secure redoubt in a connected world only as secure as can be within the constraints of functionality and ease of use for its intended system or target user

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    no such thing as a secure redoubt in a connected world only as secure as can be within the constraints of functionality and ease of use for its intended system or target user
    Yeap. Due diligence and a wary eye are required, but not always entirely effective.

Leaving the back gate open, however, is folly.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

just to be pedantic, cycbot is a trojan/backdoor and not a virus, but does come under the malware definition.

It has been around for a while.

make sure you use upto date definitions in your anti malware solutions.

And always have backups and/or restore points and/or clones of your system which is the first thing you should do upon install or receipt of built system and definately before connecting to the internet then this type of thing is never a problem.
    I'm OK with pedanticism (not sure that's even a word). That just means I downloaded the <snip> thing onto my machine all by myself... GREAT

Its been around for a while: well, yeah. Its just a damn shame my daily-updated anti-stuff didn't get the message, apparently.

And I have the backups/restorepoints allright, its just that I'm not used to this crap...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It happens to everyone. I had a developer at work get a nasty bug on his work laptop. Took a week or so to get the damn thing cleaned up.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by texpat View Post

Its been around for a while: well, yeah. Its just a damn shame my daily-updated anti-stuff didn't get the message, apparently.
    My sister has a machine with Vista and she has the 'redirect' drama going on .
    Every time you do a google search and the page with all the links comes up, but every time you click a link, it redirects to some page with this 'StarFixMe' or some other crap. I have run all kinds of cleaner programs and nothing found.
    She has the paid version of McAfee.

END RANT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast