Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help installing NVidia driver onto 11.10

Beans

Question Need help installing NVidia driver onto 11.10

Help. I'm testing / evaluating 64-bit Ubuntu by setting up a USB boot before installing onto my hard drive. I have Ubuntu 11.10 installed, but it didn't recognize the NVidia 520 based graphics card. Searching online I found a .deb file on a PPA site (not sure if terminology is correct, I just learning Ubuntu details). I was unable to install drivers through Additional Drivers since none were listed. I read that I need to install the latest driver to work with the GeForce GT520 based card.
    OK. I downloaded the 290.10 driver on a PPA site. I (think) I added the PPA information to the repository listing. I tried to install the driver by opening the .deb file with the Software Center - installation failed (not sure why). Further forum reading suggests that I first need to uninstall the existing Nvidia drivers [is it with code:
    [sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current]
    followed by [sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*]?

Then, install the .deb driver. I assume that either by Software Center or by entering code sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get upgrade is supposed to work.

If it does not work, would I then be without a driver installed which would cause a problem when I tried to reboot. How can I be sure that I can get new drivers installed before removing the existing drivers? [ System Information says that the existing driver is a VESA driver (is that a default ).

For reference: I am installing on an HP Pavillion Media Center PC, model m8100n, with a Zotac GeForce GT520 1MB graphics card installed in the PCI-e slot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Need help installing NVidia driver onto 11.10

I would recommend visiting the Nvidia website for a driver. You can download the version 290.10 if you read that it's the correct one. Also, usually their website will offer the correct driver according to the card model.

Otherwise, a .deb file should be able to install simply by right-click and select option like Install/Open with Software Centre, or Open with Package Manager, etc, depending on the exact version.

If it's another type of file you might need to install it from terminal. Again, nvidia website would have basic instructions about installation too.

PS. I use ATI so I can't provide more exact support.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans

Darkod,
    I've tried the 1st 2 suggestions; I downloaded a .deb file with driver for 290.10 and I tried installing it with the Software Center. It didn't install. When I read the details, there were some references to devices or stuff it couldn't find. I thought that the Software Center should get what is needed, so does that mean that there is some other issue? For example, did it fail because I didn't uninstall existing NVidia drivers? I'm afraid to uninstall graphics drivers without knowing that I can install new ones, otherwise will I be left with an unusable Ubuntu?

Thanks for responding!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    PS. I use ATI so I can't provide more exact support.
    Whereas I can. Whether ATI or NVidia, I've wriiten down tutorials and tips that include the current workarounds for both ATI and Nvidia's binaries and Ubuntu's debian installation packages.

In your case:
    Installing NVidia Binary Drivers

Installing NVidia Packaged Drivers

Finding the Right NVidia Driver from the Card ID

PS- I test on Intel, Nvidia and AMD Radaeon... (ATI got bought out by AMD.)
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 2nd, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Whereas I can. Whether ATI or NVidia, I've wriiten down tutorials and tips that include the current workarounds for both ATI and Nvidia's binaries and Ubuntu's debian installation packages.

In your case:
    Installing NVidia Binary Drivers

Installing NVidia Packaged Drivers

Finding the Right NVidia Driver from the Card ID
    And here comes the cavalry...
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    And here comes the cavalry...
    @ Darko-

LOL! Thanks... Been under the weather- Llterally! Snow, Ice and wind storms... Power outages, etc. Had to buy 3 power supplies yesterday... revundant server styled = ouch. Have 3 servers up so far, 3 to go.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637

Beans

Thanks MAFoElffen! Looks like I have some homework to do. I quickly reviewed the links you provided; the information looks complete. I must admit, I usually prefer having a better understanding of what commands will do when I enter them, but I won't have time to research all the related commands. I'll enter as instructed and learn in the process. Since the Ubuntu 11.10 I'm working with is on a USB, if a problem develops I can still use my Windows Boot until I get everything sorted. I just need to document everything I do so that I can repeat it when I install Ubuntu onto a hard drive.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to test everything tonight and I'm traveling over the weekend. So, don't take my temporary silence as an indication of lost interest.

Thanks again for your advice!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi! ScientificProp.

I Posted a reply to your other Post:" RE: Driver Problem & several questions to get started w Ubuntu", giving details for installing the 290.10 nvidia driver, based on what I learned from the help MAFoElffen gave me.

I started, as you are, worried what would happen if the existing drivers were purged before entering the new correct ones; but I found my worries were ill founded, the default drivers did all that was necessary.

So don't worry on that account.

Chao! & Good Luck, bogan
    Last edited by bogan; February 2nd, 2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: post title added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ScientificProp View Post
    Thanks MAFoElffen! Looks like I have some homework to do. I quickly reviewed the links you provided; the information looks complete. I must admit, I usually prefer having a better understanding of what commands will do when I enter them, but I won't have time to research all the related commands. I'll enter as instructed and learn in the process. Since the Ubuntu 11.10 I'm working with is on a USB, if a problem develops I can still use my Windows Boot until I get everything sorted. I just need to document everything I do so that I can repeat it when I install Ubuntu onto a hard drive.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to test everything tonight and I'm traveling over the weekend. So, don't take my temporary silence as an indication of lost interest.

Thanks again for your advice!
    Thanks Bogan.

@ScientificProp-
    Although complete, I understand that there may be questions. Ask then here or in this forum in my sticky:

I can translate the "tech'y" into any level from beginning user to programmer. I can also explain the "between the lines" and what they do.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 3rd, 2012 at 05:07 AM.

Beans

As far as my "tech'y" level; I've been poking around in computers since before there were PC's. My first computer program was in Tektronix Basic, followed by a Fortran program for a CP/M computer. Mostly worked and programmed computers for scientific work, data acquisition, experiment and process control and data analysis (graphics). Although I've been reading about Linux since I had to stop using OS/2, I'm only just beginning to make time to explore it myself. So, I'm new to the Linux stuff, but not to computers.
    @ bogan; from you other post, yes I'm working from a USB stick right now. And you're right, I'm not sure that I can upgrade Ubuntu on a USB. I thought maybe I could since I was able to install a program and it was saved on the USB and was available the next time I booted. That was with Ubuntu 11.04. If anyone knows this won't work - please advise.

I started following MAFoElffen's instructions. The command apt-get install build-essential gcc... produced a few errors, errors while processing linux-image-3.0.0.15-generic and linux-image-generic and linux-generic. It ended with an error code (1).
    The next step was the command apt-get install linux-headers-'uname -r' ; this response was <unable to locate package linux-headers...

Are these errors OK? Did I make a mistake typing?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast