Thread: LibreOffice Writer vs. MS Word. editable fields.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

LibreOffice Writer vs. MS Word. editable fields.

Hi all,

I have downloaded a *.doc form to apply for membership of the NMRA - (yes, I know, I am a total full-on geek) but I am unable to enter text in the fields (name/address/credit card... etc.) using Writer. The form is read-only password protected (password not supplied). I'm assuming this would work fine in MS Word, not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if the password protection works differently between the two apps...

Thanks,

ikm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: LibreOffice Writer vs. MS Word. editable fields.

Quote Originally Posted by icekreaman View Post
    Hi all,

I have downloaded a *.doc form to apply for membership of the NMRA - (yes, I know, I am a total full-on geek) but I am unable to enter text in the fields (name/address/credit card... etc.) using Writer. The form is read-only password protected (password not supplied). I'm assuming this would work fine in MS Word, not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if the password protection works differently between the two apps...

Thanks,

ikm.
    I doubt it would work differently, if its got a write protect password then it will have one in Word as well. I would suggest printing it off, entering the info and then scanning it. Failing that use it as an image and gimp it

Bodsda
    computer-howto
    Linux is not windows
    Fluxbox & Flux menu how to
    Programming is an art. Learn it, Live it, Love it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: LibreOffice Writer vs. MS Word. editable fields.

Hey Bodsda,

I don't think I explained myself clearly... the document should be protected but with editable fields, so I can enter my info then save the form (kind of like an editable pdf). However, Writer treats the entire form as read-only so I am unable to do anything other than print and use a *gasp* pen to fill it out - as you suggested above...

ikm.