Thread: Needing education on MP3/MP4 player vs Smartphone vs Wireless Tablet

Beans

Needing education on MP3/MP4 player vs Smartphone vs Wireless Tablet

Okay, I am in a quandary and feeling technologically out of the loop! My kid and my wife have Apple IPods, and I've enjoyed listening to music on them. I read the manual on my feature phone (not quite a smart phone, but it does do web, facebook, gmail and has an MP3 player and movie player). Anyway, I had a stack of some 1,200 ogg music files and transferred them to MP3 format so my phone would play them. Popped in a 16 gig MicroSDHC card, and it's working.

Found out almost all the tags were messed up, so spent considerable time with EasyTag, Picard and EyeD3 viewing and editing tags. Now my phone plays mps and the database works for Artist, Album and Genre. WooHoo! Also played with MobileMediaConverter to convert some old Film Noir movies from the Internet Archive to play on my phone. Quicksand, Impact, Detour, DOA, Too Late for Tears - kinda interesting.

Which brings me to:
    I think I want a dedicated mp3 player and movie player. But I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't want to get locked in to ITunes or Amazon. I like Banshee. That works fine for my goofy phone. So I'm thinking something that plays well with Ubuntu Linux. Sansa Fuze? Maybe with Rockbox?

I take my wife and kids to various doctors, optometrists and dentists offices. I'm thinking movies here.

I absolutely do NOT want to pay for a data plan, so a smart phone is out. And I'm not sure how much information is tracked. I'm not a paranoid person - I just don't want dedicated advertising if I happen to wander into a proctologist. My phone just doesn't need to know that! And advertisers don't need to know that either!

So - help me decide. Go with a dedicated MP3 player (and maybe do Rockbox). Go with an Android wifi tablet - small form factor for music and video only so it will fit in my pocket. Join the evil horde and go IPod and ITunes?

I'm thinking dedicated MP3 player even though it is old technology that might be going away due to smart phones running Android and Apple stuff. So - are folks still buying dedicated mp3 players? Or moving to smaller form factor handheld wifi devices? Or? I wandered around various stores the past few weekends, and saw extremely little choice other than IPods everywhere.

(I feel like a dinosaur!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Needing education on MP3/MP4 player vs Smartphone vs Wireless Tablet

The problem is: what is the problem.
    G! dpu s:++ a C+++ UL++ P L+++ !E W+++ N+ o? K- W-- O- M- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP t- 5 X+ R* tv-- b DI- D- G e+ h+ r--- y+

Beans
    Hidden!

I absolutely do NOT want to pay for a data plan, so a smart phone is out.
    I don't see how that follows. Skip the carriers and buy a smartphone hardware-only. In the end, you'll end up paying about the same as you would for a dedicated portable audio/video player and end up with a device that does far more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you're looking for a dedicated mp3 player Cowon is a good choice. They play a lot of audio files mp3, ogg, wma, flac,etc. They're recognized as a mass storage device so no need for iTunes or anything. I've had my S9 for about 3 years and have had no problems.

http://www.jetaudio.com/products/
    Let than ill gotten donut be forever on your head!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I agree with BeRoot ReBoot: buy a smartphone off contract and just never tie it to a carrier. Turn on Wifi and then connect to wireless networks if necessary--otherwise just use it as a video/audio player.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

There are a couple of phones-without-the-phone out there, too, like the Samsung Galaxy Player 5. Cheaper than buying the phone hardware without a carrier.

Beans

Thanks. I think the phone without a phone is the wy to go. I pondered a bit. I wander out with the phone, with a pocket camera (it takes better pictures than my phone) and with a pocket camcorder on occasion (it takes better video than my phone). I think adding a dedicated mp3 player to the bunch is a bit much.

Now to check on music, camera and video quality on the Samsung. It would be great to cut back on dedicated stuff.

Beans

If you're so inclined, there is a port of Rockbox running as an application under Android too.

Beans
    Distro

You could buy a prepaid smartphone too (from one of the carriers), and just don't put the SIM card in it. It might be a little cheaper than buying a non-carrier phone. But it'll be locked to the carrier and have some carrier modifications to it; if this bothers you, then buy one from eBay.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.