Thread: Installing Kile or not?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Installing Kile or not?

Hi,

I need to do some stuff with latex and I heard, that Kile is a good Latex Editor, but I also heard that it is not recommended to install software originally developed for KDE to ubuntu or any non-KDE using environment.

Can someone please help me, as I have to have this work done by friday?

My alternative would be using a Live-USB in persistence and installing Kubuntu an Kile to that (tried that with a 2GB USB on my laptop but the laptop just refused to update at some point so I had to Ctrl+Alt+F2 myself to a shutdown...
    I could try it also on my dektop PC but I'm afraid it won't really help.

Thank you all!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Installing Kile or not?

Hi, as far as I know you shouldn't have any problems installing kde software to a gnome environment, kile will just install the kde libraries it requires.
    Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6t-3100 CTO, Intel i5 2.5 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics, 500 GB HDD.
    Desktop: Pentium IV 2.8 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128 MB, D-Link DWA-510 wireless card, 80 GB HDD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

No problem at all to install Kile under gnome. I have it running (also for latex) without issues. Same for other KDE based application (gwenview, digikam, krita, koffice, ...)
    I know others running kile under fedora (gnome) also without issues.
    AMD64X2 3800+ 3GB Ram: 11.10
    ACER one T1810 : 11.10 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

Its not about having some issues with kile, its just how much **** space will it consume and will I be able to remove it completely, when I have my stuff done?
    (Have done the stuff with TeXnicCenter on Windows now)

Beans

There's lots of great KDE software and no reason to not install it on Gnome.

Beans
    Distro

well, I've read about Qt or something that automatically gets installed when using KDE software, and that this is pretty heavy stuff, both in CPU and disk usage. Could anyone pleas make this a little clearer?

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cheatos View Post
    well, I've read about Qt or something that automatically gets installed when using KDE software, and that this is pretty heavy stuff, both in CPU and disk usage. Could anyone pleas make this a little clearer?

Thanks
    It would install QT if you don't have it, but it's really not that big of a deal. On any kind of modern computer, you won't even notice the disk space or CPU. Just install it and see, you can easily uninstall it if you want.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, thanks for all your input, I'll try it then

I was just confused, because I tried to delete some of the stuff automatically installed with ubuntu and when I removed that stuff there still was a hidden folder in my home folder. i.e. I removed the sudoku game but still have the foler /home/.sudoku how can I get rid of all the stuff a program installs (seems like windows to me, once you install something it never gets deleted completely, what would be pretty stupid...)