Thread: [How-To] Connect newest Android devices using MTP in KUbuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Lightbulb [How-To] Connect newest Android devices using MTP in KUbuntu 12.04 LTS

After struggeling quite a time to get my China mobile working I want to share my experiences. This is according to my 12.04 installation. I am not sure if you will need all or less files to get it done. I for one needed all these steps and took me days to find out.

1. The kio-mtp file was missing:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kio-mtp
    2. Now we need some more essential files:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libmtp-common mtp-tools libmtp-dev libmtp-runtime libmtp9 mtpfs
    3. Update of MTP Pakage (my device was not working with older ones)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libm.../libmtp/1.1.9/

Download this file, Extract,

Change into this folder. Inside you need to run:

Code:
    ./configure
    then
    Code:
    make
    Code:
    sudo checkinstall
    If you have not done already please install "checkinstall" - so it is easier to remove these packages later on.

You will get a libmtp_1.1.9-1_amd64.deb file which you should install by klicking on it.

4. We have to add udev rules:

Added rule for device in "/lib/udev/rules.d/69-libmtp.rules".:

Code:
    # Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 (MTP)
    #ATTR{idVendor}=="2717",  ATTR{idProduct}=="ff18", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="660",  GROUP="audio", ENV{ID_MTP_DEVICE}="1", ENV{ID_MEDIA_PLAYER}="1"
    Code:
    # Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 (MTP+ADB)
    ATTR{idVendor}=="2717",  ATTR{idProduct}=="ff48", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="660",  GROUP="audio", ENV{ID_MTP_DEVICE}="1", ENV{ID_MEDIA_PLAYER}="1"

The numbers 2717 und ff48 / ff18 you will find out by using "lsusb" or from "sudo mtp-detect | grep idVendor" AND "mtp-detect | grep idProduct")

Fill these numbers in according to your mobile!!!

Code:
    sudo service udev restart
    No reboot needed.

Some general things:

a) take a good USB cable. Not the cheapest one
    b) insert your mobile into a direct USB port - no hub in between. (Energy problem)
    c) you have to switch your mobile into the "mtp" mode. (It might be in PTP mode!!)

Good luck!
    Last edited by peter-ludwig; December 20th, 2015 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Not 100% correct headline. Kubuntu. (might not fit for ubuntu)