Thread: Script to connnect automatically to a US VPN (OpenVPN)

Beans

Cool Script to connnect automatically to a US VPN (OpenVPN)

Hi I made this script for myself to connect to Spotify because is not available in my country and i want to share it. It just creates a hidden folder in home folder with a few text files.
    You must have installed openvpn if not "sudo apt-get install openvpn"
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    mkdir $HOME/.vpnbook #Creates the directory for all this
    wget -r http://www.vpnbook.com/free-openvpn-account/VPNBook.com-OpenVPN-US1.zip -P $HOME/.vpnbook #Download the ovpn files
    wget --recursive --page-requisites --html-extension --convert-links --restrict-file-names=windows --domains website.org --no-parent http://www.vpnbook.com/freevpn -P $HOME/.vpnbook #Download the html to retreive the public password from OpenVPN
    unzip -o -d $HOME/.vpnbook $HOME/.vpnbook/VPNBook.com-OpenVPN-US1.zip #Unzip
    var=`grep "Password" $HOME/.vpnbook/www.vpnbook.com/freevpn.html` # Retrieve the line with the password from freevpn.html and save it in the var variable, but it gets two lines so let's trim it
    var=`echo "$var" | sed -e "1d"` #Trim the variable to one line
    var=`echo "$var" | cut -b 1-26 --complement` && var=`echo "$var" | cut -b 9-25 --complement` #Trim the html parameters and only remains the password
    echo -e "vpnbook\n$var" >> $HOME/.vpnbook/loginUTF8.conf #Creates the login.conf with the username and the password from the freevpn.html file
    iconv -f UTF-8 -t US-ASCII $HOME/.vpnbook/loginUTF8.conf > $HOME/.vpnbook/login.conf #Convert the login.conf file to Windows Unicode to be valid for the openvpn command
    sed "s|auth-user-pass|auth-user-pass $HOME/.vpnbook/login.conf|g" $HOME/.vpnbook/vpnbook-us1-tcp443.ovpn > $HOME/.vpnbook/vpnbook-us1-tcp443_new.ovpn #Now the new ovpn file knows where is the login.conf with the username and the password to use. WAS A NIGHTMARE finding out how to use sed with "/" for the directories
    gksu -- openvpn --config $HOME/.vpnbook/vpnbook-us1-tcp443_new.ovpn & #Finally connecting. The login.conf must be Windows Unicode format and the ovpn file does not recognize the $HOME variable but the sed command do the job in the upper line
    sleep 40 #Wait for the VPN service to connect
    notify-send 'Connected to the USA VPN'
    And this one is to disconnect from the VPN or just use "gksu killall openvpn"
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    gksu killall openvpn
    rm $HOME/.vpnbook/login.conf
    rm $HOME/.vpnbook/loginUTF8.conf
    #Those files are removed because if the script runs again it will not use the old password
    Just copy those lines and save it to a text file and rename it to yourtitle.sh and double click on in it to execute them
    Or open the terminal where the .sh is and type "bash yourtitle.sh"
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by matbonucci; December 31st, 2015 at 06:46 PM.

Beans

Re: Script to connnect automatically to a US VPN (OpenVPN)

interesting that this uses a free vpn service as the provider and openvpn to run the actual vpn. great job!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Be aware your script does not do any checking for the presence of openvpn even being installed and appears to be working even if it isn't here. I was notified I was "Connected to the USA VPN" even without openvpn being installed here ...

Code:
    yetiman:~ $ policy openvpn
    openvpn:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 2.3.2-7ubuntu3.1
      Version table:
         2.3.2-7ubuntu3.1 0
            500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main amd64 Packages
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main amd64 Packages
         2.3.2-7ubuntu3 0
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
    Note, I am using a bash alias, "policy", above for the command "apt-cache policy".

The line "gksu -- openvpn --config $HOME/.vpnbook/vpnbook-us1-tcp443_new.ovpn &" should probably not be using the command openvpn as a switch to the gksu command but more starting like "gksu openvpn --config ...", gksu is not the main command, openvpn is with gksu for privilege escalation.

Even with this set up it appears to be working; that is there is no check for a valid vpn connection just a notification of connection issued after a sleep command.

Nice start but needs quite a bit of reviewing for safety in my opinion as it is for vpn usage. Interesting concept if fleshed out a bit more code wise.

Also once the vpn is set up how do you use it to connect to spotify etc ? (or for any other process/browser to use it; this seems like only the first basic steps in the full process you mention usage wise).

Kind regards, yetimon_64

Beans

A
    Last edited by matbonucci; December 31st, 2015 at 06:07 PM.

Beans

Hi. You’re right, i forgot i installed openvpn time ago and i assumed it was already installed, i will include the installation on the script.
    I used "gksu --" because gksu had problems with openvpn parameters, so it is with others commands with parameters. That's why is necessary "gksu --" to omit later problems with parameters.
    Yes this only shows a notification after the openvpn command. To be honest i don't know how to use openvpn connection status to the script and to show if it was connected successfully or not.

And for spotify i just have to open app every two weeks with a US connection or it would close my session because i'm not in the US. I found tedious looking for the vpnbook password and doing the connection every week, i always forgot so that was the main use for the script. But after this i can use the app normally without a VPN for two weeks. So no other process after i run the script for me, just open Spotify and disconnect from the VPN.

I edited my script that after the VPN connection it finds if Spotify is running (I'm listening to music) or not. If the app is running it waits 3 minutes with the VPN connection open then close the VPN connection so the app will know i was conected the the US, if is not running after the VPN connection it will open Spotify for 3 minutes then close the app and close the VPN connection. I run it every Sunday