Thread: Enable Compositing/Detect Monitor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Enable Compositing/Detect Monitor

Hello.

Finally got a 64 bit Ubuntu (10.04) installed on this ASUS X54C-BBK5. I installed compiz and related packages, however Gnome-Do says I do not have compositing enabled, and changing the settings in CCSM doesn't actually change the desktop or how it appears. In what I suspect is a related issue, when I go to System/Preferences/Monitors, it cannot detect any monitors or change any settings.

This laptop uses Intel IG 3000.

I should also note that Ubuntu 11.10 (32 bit) detected the resolution correctly, and I think (not totally sure) that compiz worked fine there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Intel Core i7-2600K (3.80 GHz) (Hyper 212+ Air Cooler)
    MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 460 (768 MB)
    Seagate 7200 RPM 1 TB && Hitachi 5400 RPM 2 TB
    Ubuntu 11.04 Classic Desktop / Windows 7 Professional (games only)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Enable Compositing/Detect Monitor

I also just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on this exact laptop(Asus X54C), and I have the same issues. Did you notice an error message about hardware detection problems? I saw it but it booted anyway and I forgot to write it down :/ But it also seems the touch-pad is not being detected correctly, at least on mine anyway. Does anyone know a test I can run to find the drivers for all of this stuff? The Asus website does not seem to have any drivers for Ubuntu, only windows 7 Should we just look into trying to use those drivers? I know you can, but I have never found an easy way to do so And after a ton of Googling, all I am finding are threads like this one which hit dead ends. This seems like a pretty big issue for this particular laptop and there seems to be no current fixes for these issues.

I should also note that Ubuntu 11.10 (32 bit) detected the resolution correctly, and I think (not totally sure) that compiz worked fine there.
    Did you see/note if the web-cam and touch-pad were working? If the solution is as simple as upgrading the OS, then that would be great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Enable Compositing/Detect Monitor

I upgraded to 12.04 LTS and everything worked like a dream.