Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Hello people!

Colin Watson has kindly looked into the mirror archive error that has plagued the PowerPC live cds since 11.04. He thinks he has now fixed it, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...or/+bug/919356 ,but he needs some help with testing.

The new choose-mirror package is in the alternate CDs and I think the changes should have made there way into the ubiquity (live CD) package by now. So if you live in an exotic (i.e. non UK) location then why not have a go at installing 12.04?!! Please give feedback in the above bug report.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Works Fine here except for wifi.

But had those issues in earlier versions too.

Rob..

Beans

To add to what I wrote earlier....

This is part of a message I got from Colin Watson a few days ago:

Just as a tangent to bug 919356, I wonder if you - or anyone you know -
    would consider being an image testing contact for the Ubuntu powerpc
    images, and committing to regular testing of them before milestone
    releases? Over the last couple of release cycles, this has gradually
    been becoming a requirement for us to continue with daily builds of an
    image;
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePango...eImageContacts
    Now, currently I don't have a PowerPC machine. I have, however, coincidentally finally won an eBay item today so hopefully I can mend my iBook, but there is no gurantees two broken iBooks will make one good ibook. Particularly with my soldering skills.

So is anybody else willing to step up to the plate and volunteer to be a regular tester? I think the best contact would be somebody who has a good range of machines to try the CDs on, but it would be even better if we could get a group of people together to share the testing.

People have got to start getting more active in general or PowerPC Ubuntu will stop!
    Last edited by rsavage; February 5th, 2012 at 04:47 PM.

Beans

I'd be happy to sign up, but most of the time I'm working abroad, so only get to play with the G5 once a month or so. That said, I'd be only too pleased to get kernel version 3 finally booting...
    Registered Linux User #407403

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a Powerbook G4 (uhh...1ghz I think, it hasn't been on in a long while), and a Powermac G4 desktop (reasonably heavy upgrades from factory). I'm planning to use the Powermac as my HTPC (working on a Lubuntu+Mythbuntu install right now), and could easily test LiveCD's, as necessary...

Beans

That's great pkmgarf! Can you have a go at following the testing procedure and giving some feedback to the forum on how easy/hard it is? Hopefully you can inspire some more people to try it out. The more people that get involved the better.

Beans

I've added some other mirrors to the PowerPC FAQ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#W...PC_packages.3F

This is just what came up from a google search. I haven't been through each of the 300 odd official mirrors to see if they have a ports directory, but if you are abroad it maybe worth your while investigating the mirrors in your particular country.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Where can I grab the Live CD at? I'll be out of town on vacation for a few days, but can burn a live CD when I get home and give it a try.

I've currently been downloading from the daily builds area of Lubuntu...

Beans

The repository mirrors in the FAQ are for downloading packages. I added some mirrors for PowerPC CDs to the downloads page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads . For the latest development (12.04) live CDs you'll have to look at mirrors that contain daily-live directories. PowerPC daily-live images will be in the same directory as other architectures. There are like 200 odd official mirrors listed - you'll have to search for your nearest, but they don't all contain daily/daily-live CDs. For example: http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net/ubuntu-cdimage/ is in the United States. The alternate CD is in the daily directory.
    Last edited by rsavage; February 5th, 2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Corrected daily-live directory and changed example repo

Beans

The live usb (downloaded 2-4-2012) hangs after it outputs "* Starting pbbuttonsd" on startup. Not sure if it hangs on that or on whatever it is doing after that.

I have a Powerbook5,8: G4 1.67 ghz, 15".

I was, however, able to install 10.04 and upgrade to 12.04 alpha a couple of weeks ago. Was impressed with how well it runs. (Sound broke, display brightness buttons don't work, and I have a trackpad issue that I also had with 11.10 that I'm looking into- but other than that, I'm excited about 12.04 on it)

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast