Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

A chat

Hi,

an edited version,

I had the pleasure of a chat with Colin Watson this evening, he is chasing bugs that are logged, cannot chase grumbles of "oh, it doesn't work, but we have a work around" and has a plan for the G3 bug.

One of things that came out of the chat is the absolute need to use ISO Tracking to report bugs via.
    fwiw the presence of you folks (plural again) working on and visibly testing powerpc is actively making it easier to advocate within Canonical for keeping the powerpc archive and images in place
    For the G3 bug he asks that this is done.

(22:18:57) cjwatson: I very much recommend that you drop the idea of having the installer fiddle with xorg.conf and instead look at improving X's autodetection; there is a great deal more mileage in the latter approach
    (22:19:32) cjwatson: thanks for the other links; I'll have a look when I'm next at a proper computer
    (22:21:50) cjwatson: hah, I was actually writing parted tests this afternoon to try to nail down 856826
    (22:22:11) cjwatson: is that the "kernels in the wrong place" bug, or are you referring to something else?
    (22:23:26) phillw: I think it is, the annoying thing for me (and I'm sure for you) is that they discuss something, complain about it but when asked to file a bug & let me know the bug number it all goes deathly silent
    (22:24:30) phillw: for getting X to autodetect, none of us have even the faintest idea where to even start. We're not coders.
    (22:25:27) cjwatson: ask the X people
    (22:26:02) cjwatson: #ubuntu-x should be able to help
    (22:27:27) phillw: okies, I'll give it a go - but I do not have a Mac, so it is going to be tortuous!
    (22:28:24) cjwatson: fair enough, but it is the right approach
    (22:29:12) cjwatson: there's no infrastructure for creating an xorg.conf in certain circumstances in the installer, and it's not needed for any other hardware that I've heard of these days so I'm very unkeen on creating any
    (22:29:16) phillw: I will see what can be achieved. I know we were really short of time, so realistically we are now looking at 12.10 :/ That option was a 'hack' for 12.04
    (22:30:04) cjwatson: it's a bug fix; if it can be explained promptly and with clarity I don't see why it shouldn't be possible for 12.04

(22:38:10) phillw: so, what exactly should I ask on #ubuntu-x I'm an admin and wiki guy, it took pcman about three stressful days (for him) to teach me how to get the stuff i needed for ./configure and make onto my computer!
    (22:38:52) cjwatson: point them to a clear bug report identifying how X is failing to autodetect hardware
    (22:40:45) phillw: thanks, I'm sure we can manage that. I know some of the guys on PPC are 'shoulders sloped' because these things have gone on for so long. I think the new guys who have come in via lubuntu have given it a shot in the arm. It is, after all, the whole reason behind lubuntu ... up to date O/S for old kit
    (22:41:00) cjwatson: and ask if there's any more information you can supply or if they can offer guidance on fixing it (best done by somebody with the hardware though)
    (22:41:44) phillw: so it it will bug-report <package> --- which package?
    (22:41:50) cjwatson: xorg
    He went on to suggest that someone with the actual kit would be best to liase with that team, so they can deal directly with an OP. rsavage are you 'up' for that?

So, here is the chance to get this grumbling bug fixed, correctly, at source.

Regards,

Phill.

the full chat is available at A Chat As for any thoughts of us wasting his time? Fear not, it was a pleasure for both of us to chat not just about ubuntu / lubuntu stuff - but chat

Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    @farinet Regarding your fan. Can you test this kernel please? https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...23_powerpc.deb .

If you download it I'm not sure if it will install by just double clicking on it. If not use the command

sudo dpkg -i linux-image-3.2.0-14-powerpc_3.2.0-14.23_powerpc.deb

Once you reboot make sure it is loaded properly with

uname -a

You may have to fiddle with yaboot.conf if not.

That kernel was the last one before therm_adt746x was built in. It should be the same fan setup as you have in debian. If you still have a problem then it is not your fan, but something else. Your computer is probably getting hot and the fan is working correctly.
    Before trying that, a question: If i install that kernel i presume the .deb package will install all needed files. Would i be able to remove that kernel after trying by `sudo aptitude remove linux-image-3.2.0-14-powerpc_3.2.0-14.23_powerpc.deb`?

Btw, i don't believe that the computer is getting hot (it's not getting hot even with the changes i made). With the help of you and others (and the change of the limit_adjust to 5 (in /sys/devices/temperatures) i have (in lunbuntu 12.04 beta 1 ppc) a) a pretty much comparable level of fan rumour (and activity) like in Debian and moreover (thanks to you!) i got back suspend to ram.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phillw View Post
    Would you be so kind as to raise a bug for lxKeyMap with as much information as you can lay your hands on. If it is not a major re-write, Julien is pretty quick in getting something done.

Many thanks,

Phill.
    I did it, and i hope i've done it right ( ? ): https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...al/+bug/949461

Thanks for your help!

PS. Feel free to correct or point me to how correct, if there is something wrong. No problem

Beans

I have an iBook G4 running 10.04 that I can use. I recently ran the 12.04 live cd and so far, have only seen that the wi-fi doesn't work. It says "Firmware Missing". I'm a newby at this but I'll give it try.
    Last edited by PkgMafaw; March 10th, 2012 at 10:40 PM.

Beans

Ok, I'll help. I've got a 1.4GHz G4 Mac mini to work with. Not going to install it but I will LiveCD the thing and see what happens.

"I'm going in. Cover me, Porkins."

Beans

Well, so much for that. It doesn't even fit on a standard 700MB CD. What gives?

Beans

It's 714MB. I had to use a DVD.

Beans

When trying to run the Ubiquity FreeSoftware Only test I'm not getting the "When you see the aubergine screen with an icon at the bottom, press any key to get the men". The LiveCD continues to load the rest of the way without boot options. Is there another thread for this issue or is this specific to my machine?
    Last edited by PkgMafaw; March 11th, 2012 at 04:44 AM.

Beans

I'm going to cave in on this issue, it seems. This evening when I get done with my history class studies (and note-taking, etc.) and can get back ot it, I'm just going to burn the image to DVD and try it out.

As I said before, I really can't set this machine up with Ubuntu, but I'm happy to try running from the LiveCD. Is there anything in particular you folks would like those of us testing this thing to do? I mean, I know the ideal case is to install it, but what can I do from within the LiveCD environment that will be of benefit to everyone?

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

@phillw I don't have the kit and I've got my own bugs to chase. I've raised a bug against the framebuffers. I suggest somebody who has a G3 imac raises any bugs with the x people. I don't mind looking at Xorg.0.logs if somebody posts them up. I think it is worth noting that other machines have problems too - some nvidia machines suffer from phantom outputs (explained in the FAQ). Those people need to raise bugs too - nobody is going to do it on their behalf.

@farinet yes you'll be able to uninstall it. Btw, you've raised the bug against lxterminal.

@ pkgmafaw See the known issues page for a bug I raised against the free software only option.

@ mistergaribaldi Any little bit helps. It is impossible for one person to test everything in time when it comes to the release isos. We need more people to subscribe to testing even if they can only commit to one or two testcases.

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast