Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

I would love to help test 12.04 ppc-- but I have nothing to work with. The live CD image won't boot for me, the alternate cd image creates an installation which halts during boot, and upgrading from 10.04 now quits midway citing "Too many errors" and leaves even 10.04 unbootable.

Is there a way to selectively remove certain boot items from the live cd image so I can figure out what is hanging?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What exactly doesn't boot from the live CD? What does/doesn't it do?

As for upgrading from 10.04 - has that been tested on non-PPC machine even?. Seems like that could be a tricky upgrade to begin with.

And the alternate CD - this is likely your best bet (assuming you don't want to play with the Live CD). If the system hangs during boot after installing from the Alternate, it means the files are all there, and it just needs some more *help* to boot. What errors are you getting during bootup?

Beans

Thanks for the response,

Live CD Boot: Hangs on pbbuttonsd (or right after it)

Alternate install: Outputs the wireless message saying to go to the official website to get the drivers, then hangs

Upgrade from 10.04: I got this to work during the alpha, so I was excited about this (something didn't work, so I tried reinstalling later to see if it would help... but it just ended up with where I am now)

Yeah, the alternate install is probably the best bet... it hangs on or after the wireless networking attempts after installing... so I guess I'll start by disabling that somehow? (10.04 live cd works, if that would be useful for editing the installed files).

Edit: And I've made custom live CD's for my x86 (not mac x86) machines before with squashfs/iso making utilities... if it is possible to make custom PPC live cd's, I'll try that (selectively removing items, etc) if it might help identify problems with the live CD. (I briefly tried this a while back, but ran into some problem... is the process different for PPC somehow?)
    Last edited by gwjvan; March 13th, 2012 at 05:42 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    . . . @farinet yes you'll be able to uninstall it. Btw, you've raised the bug against lxterminal. . . ..
    Ok, thanks. How can i change that lxterminal thing? I went there but did not see how . . . (?)

TIA

Beans

Yeah, the alternate install is probably the best bet... it hangs on or after the wireless networking attempts after installing... so I guess I'll start by disabling that somehow?
    alternate install image today (Feb 13, 2012) doesn't install, actually.. fails during "Select and install software"

The Powerbook5,8 just doesn't seem to have any luck with 12.04

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

The problem is the dailies are unreliable because they change all the time. If there is a problem the text installer is rubbish at telling you what it is. Can you do a cli install from your alternate iso? And does it boot? I installed xubuntu this way.

Has anybody else noticed the alternate cd is far far longer to install from than the live cd?

Beans

I was able to just cancel out of the "select and install software" part of the installation (after it gave an error), and skip ahead to setting up yaboot, and it now boots to the command line (hopefully with enough tools to work with?). I'll give it a shot installing a desktop environment.

Beans

Okay-

For anyone else with a Powerbook5,8 (the last 15" ppc powerbook they made):

After installing, it hangs when it tries to load the wireless. So to get 12.04 up and running, I deleted the following directories on my installation (with a 10.04 live usb):

/lib/modules/3.2.0-18-powerpc/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43

/lib/modules/3.2.0-18-powerpc/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy

I now have a working Kubuntu up (runs decently), though several other issues still remain (including getting the wireless up somehow), but at least the computer is functional (something to work with).

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Has anybody filed a bug about the kernel symlinks being installed in the wrong place (described earlier in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=50 )?

I've just used todays alternate ubuntu cd and there is no sign of the symlinks being placed in the root directory. Which is what I thought was the case the last time I used it. So is this a problem only with the live cds?

Can somebody who has installed recently with the live cd check it is still happening please and raise a bug against ubiquity I guess?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    Has anybody filed a bug about the kernel symlinks being installed in the wrong place (described earlier in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=50 )?

I've just used todays alternate ubuntu cd and there is no sign of the symlinks being placed in the root directory. Which is what I thought was the case the last time I used it. So is this a problem only with the live cds?

Can somebody who has installed recently with the live cd check it is still happening please and raise a bug against ubiquity I guess?
    Hi RSavage, I'm assuming that you and most of the others on here do not read the QA meeting logs [1]? Could I ask that you do so on this occaision?

I've alerted the lubuntu-qa people to this pretty much once in a lifetime chance to get these gremlins closed down. I still await the email as to how it will all work. Lubuntu-qa [2] are up for it [3], I do hope everyone else on this thread will also give the devs what they need .... Feedback whilst they do the sprint. They need you to test!

I will, of course, update this thread as soon as I have the full details, in the meantime... get your pencils sharpened and learn the the gentle art of correctly reporting bugs

A couple of hints that lubuntu use are at [4]. They are not in any way exhaustive as they are still being worked on, but have been drafted pretty much up on the fly as we got new testers on in order to answer FAQ's quickly for a them. I hope you good people find them of help.

Regards,

Phill.
    [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Meetings/QA/20120314
    [2] https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-qa
    [3] https://lists.launchpad.net/lubuntu-qa/msg00447.html
    [4] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Testing
    Last edited by phillw; March 15th, 2012 at 05:09 AM.

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast