Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Hi guys and gals,

For the interest in lubuntu, I am struggling a bit. There are many discussions going on via forum, email, facebook etc. I do now ask that those people wishing for lubuntu on PPC do take the time to bookmark it and get on the lubuntu-qa.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Testing/PPC

Regards,

Phill.

Beans

Hi, so i have download Ubuntu 12.04 for PowerPC, i have a Powerbook g4 titanium, the mercury one. I have upgrade the ram to 1 gb. When i boot Ubuntu from my Powerbook, the session is open on low graphic mode with poor color and distorsion. How i can fix it ? Does you have an xorg config for this config, the graphic card is the Ati Rage 128 from the original. It is sure than 8 mb of video ram is poor.

Thank.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    Why don't you copy the CD files to a hard drive partition? That is what I am planning on doing. My USB stick is too dodgy and is beginning to be a pain to use. You can create a separate bootstrap partition to fire up the 'CD' or edit your existing bootstrap yaboot.conf. I can put instructions together if anybody is interested.
    I just reinstalled from an alternate disc from around Feb 2nd, and left myself room for a "testing" partition. Anyway, I unpacked today's live-CD to my test partition, but how do I get yaboot.conf to point to that partition without ruining the current setup (I want to be able to boot the system I just installed, as well as the Live-CD).
    Last edited by svtguy88; February 15th, 2012 at 01:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Also, my "clean" install (from the 2/2/12 disc) plus updating to today's packages via update-manager gives me a decent system it seems like. I have normal color (no more 8 bit or whatever it was before)....and, Nouveau appears to be behaving fine. System Profiler shows "unknown" for my glx vendor and other data, but glxinfo shows direct redering with Gallium .4

Finally, graphics are starting to work right. I am stuck with using the VGA output, as it won't automatically use the DVI out. Monitor settings shows the "I-1" output (DVI), but if I click "turn on" and apply, nothing happens (VGA output remains, but the monitor hooked up via DVI still shows no signal). Is there a way to force output to a specific connector?

Beans

Yaboot: From memory just copy the stanza (I think that is the correct term?) you want from /install/yaboot.conf on the live CD. Paste it into the yaboot.conf on your installed system. Now change

image=/casper/powerpc/vmlinux

to

image=hd:4,/casper/powerpc/vmlinux

Similarly add hd:4, in front of /casper/powerpc/initrd. Where hd:4 is your partition with the live CD files. You can leave the file= line as it is even though it says /cdrom.

I think the hd:4 should work, I actually used the longer image=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:4...owerpc/vmlinux 'cos that it what the automatic setup uses.

Finally, run sudo ybin -v and see if you get an error about nvram at the start.

I'm having a bit of a problem with my partition numbers. Because the auto installer is adding partitions my partition numbers are changing and it is mucking up my existing yaboot.conf file.

Graphics: Have a look at the FAQ - it has lots of links to the various wikis. I don't really understand why you both are in low colour mode. If there is a problem the installer must now revert back to the fbdev driver.

@pkmgarf Is your network manager applet working? I tried Ubuntu proper yesterday and the applet works better in that than lubuntu from the other day.
    Last edited by rsavage; February 15th, 2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Corrected mistake

Beans

pkmgarf, let me know if you get the live cd on a hard drive to work fully. It is refusing to auto install from it at the moment complains about can't unmount /cdrom. And it won't let me manually set partitions.

Beans
    Distro

I'll see if I can get the live-CD partition to work later today. I won't really be able to test the "automatic-ness" of the install though. I have to basically create my yaboot.conf manually (or at least parts of it), as my SATA card is not supported by ofpath. Anyway, I can let you know how the live CD works, as far as booting and such, but I ALWAYS have yaboot issues after a fresh install.

And I'm out of low color mode. Not sure why it was stuck in it, but everything is fine now...3D support and all. This is refreshing - in every attempt to get linux up to snuff for an OS X replacement on this machine, I always ended up with bad graphics. Good to see that's sorted out.

Beans
    Distro

Alright. I'm working on getting the live-CD to boot from a partition, but I'm running into a problem. I've got yaboot.conf pointing to the open firmware path to vmlinux and initrd, but what do I do about the root file system (the "root=" entry in yaboot.conf)?

As is, the system tries to boot the Live-CD partition, but fails, complaining that it can't find /dev/sdb3 (which is what's defined as the root in yaboot.conf).

Also - I do run into the same nvram error that you get when running ybin. I ran ybin after setting my yaboot.conf, and rebooted, but whatever happened, it broke yaboot. I had to use a rescue disc to repair it. I just had to run mkofboot and ybin again, but I did use the open firmware ("-o") flag, just in case. I can now boot my system again, but I get the "Mac Smiley" icon for a few seconds now (the icon that flashes when there's nothing to boot from), but eventually I get the first stage of yaboot...weird...

Beans

Ah, I see my mistake. I said it was from memory!

image=/casper/powerpc/vmlinux
    initrd=/casper/powerpc/initrd

are the lines you want to change. You only need to adjust the stanza that you have added and that shouldn't have a root=. The other stanzas will work as before.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I found vmlinuz/initrd in the casper/powerpc folder - so that's already in my yaboot.conf. I have the root defined in the top of the file:

Code:
    #boot=/dev/sdb2
    ofboot=/pci@f2000000/pci-bridge@d/ACARD,6280M@3/disk@0
    partition=3
    root=/dev/sdb3
    timeout=100
    install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
    magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
    enablecdboot
    enableofboot

image=/boot/vmlinux
    	label=Linux
    	read-only
    	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    	append="quiet splash"

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
    	label=old
    	read-only
    	initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
    	append="quiet splash"

#test partition
    image=/pci@f2000000/pci-bridge@d/ACARD,6280M@3/disk@0:5,/casper/powerpc/vmlinux
    	label=Live-CD Test
    	read-only
    	initrd=/pci@f2000000/pci-bridge@d/ACARD,6280M@3/disk@0:5,/caster/powerpc/initrd
    Do I just move the root= to each stanza? I'll give it a try once the system is done compiling (trying to get XBMC to work...there's no PPC binaries).

Oh, and before I forget, does suspend work for anyone? Clicking "suspend" or issuing "pm-suspend" does nothing for me...
    Last edited by svtguy88; February 16th, 2012 at 02:51 AM.

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast