Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by vintagecoke View Post
    I'll have a go on my PowerMac G5 tonight...
    vc:

Have fun with it, try to read through rsavages "G4 for Dummies thread" . . . even if you aren't a dummy, it may provide some time saving hints. I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a "G5 for Dummies" thread, I think the G5 is in the same ballpark as the G4 . . . but from what I've seen people report here, there can be some stumbling with the G5 install???? Read first, cut once, or something like that.

e.e.p.

Beans

The G5 is much different from the G4.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    Folks/rsavage:

I'm replying to this thread . . . to myself or my last post in this thread, because this thread had dropped to page 4 and the problem as I described with the reviving from suspend issues . . . continues. It is not a total failure to revive, I get the log in window, I can log in, the desktop is "populated" but clicking on tabs or on icons does nothing . . . only option at that point is to shut the unit down.

This is the rsavge version of Xubuntu 12.04 for PPC on iBook 933 MHz with 640 RAM, and I added the LXDE DE, which brings a non-working Openbox. I might have had Lu 12.04 loaded before, and probably the suspend issue was a problem there, in this version sometimes it works but many times it doesn't. Any thoughts appreciated, perhaps removing the LXDE DE?

e.e.p.
    Hi,

I'm sorry that you are not getting replies. We have very few PPC testers in lubuntu and kubuntu. I'd recommend anyone interested in PPC testing to join the lubuntu-quality team where we do have a PPC section. We also liased with kubuntu last cycle to get things tested, the PPC testers want PPC and are quite happy to help out on both lubuntu and kubuntu to get working versions out.

Lubuntu-quality can be found at https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-qa

Regards,

Phill.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phillw View Post
    Hi,

I'm sorry that you are not getting replies. We have very few PPC testers in lubuntu and kubuntu. I'd recommend anyone interested in PPC testing to join the lubuntu-quality team where we do have a PPC section. We also liased with kubuntu last cycle to get things tested, the PPC testers want PPC and are quite happy to help out on both lubuntu and kubuntu to get working versions out.

Lubuntu-quality can be found at https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-qa

Regards,

Phill.
    @phill:

OK mr phil, thanks for a response to that post from awhile back and for posting this qa link again . . . . I have tried to do something with that info before, but there was something about it that is time intensive to register the computer, and generally I'm busy. On one of your threads, the "Testers wanted for 13.04" I believe I posted my findings from my iBook there . . . and I don't recall, but I don't think anyone got back to me there either about it . . . so I wasn't encouraged to spend more time on it. I do try to support efforts to keep PPC development going by trying to post whatever I can offer to those trying to get something going on their PPC units; and thanks for your personal efforts to do that, as well as to reply to my prior post . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The mailing list for that group simply pre-fixes the subject title as [PPC], which allows the none PPC users to view if they are interested and flag up to the PPC users that there is a new email. From what you have said on delays / non replies, I think that you, and others, would find that email area a better way to keep in touch with the current release and the development release.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans

Anyone got flash working on their G4 Macs? I have my laptop working with 12.04 and installed gnash but youtube videos just show black.
    Compaq CQ62 with Intel i3 2.5Ghz and Radeon HD 6370. Runs Mint 17.1 Cinnamon and XFCE.

Custom made PC FX-8350, Radeon HD 7850, 8GB ram, entirely water cooled. Runs Windows 7.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Anyone got flash working on their G4 Macs? I have my laptop working with 12.04 and installed gnash but youtube videos just show black.
    There is no FLASH for PPC linux. None. Even if you go to Adobe's website and see a version for Linux, it will not work on our PPC's.

However, there are add-ons to Firefox which allow viewing of FLASH videos on YouTube.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

Beans

No yea I installed Gnash and Lightspark. I think I have Gnash 8.10 installed. Otherwise it would say I need a plugin for that.
    Compaq CQ62 with Intel i3 2.5Ghz and Radeon HD 6370. Runs Mint 17.1 Cinnamon and XFCE.

Custom made PC FX-8350, Radeon HD 7850, 8GB ram, entirely water cooled. Runs Windows 7.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phillw View Post
    The mailing list for that group simply pre-fixes the subject title as [PPC], which allows the none PPC users to view if they are interested and flag up to the PPC users that there is a new email. From what you have said on delays / non replies, I think that you, and others, would find that email area a better way to keep in touch with the current release and the development release.
    Regards,
    Phill.
    @philw:

I spent the few free minutes I have looking at the "qa" link . . . and that appears to be the area where you can register for Lubunteerism and the bonus package of membership to an email list serve?? And that area is distinct from the "Apple users" Forum, or, any of the Forum? Or, are you saying that if the "[PPC]" label is attached to a forum post, that post will be "forwarded" or sent to the QA list serve and will therefore get more heightened attention back on the forum? So far, I don't have too much spare time to become a "Lubunteer" . . . whatever that might be, seems to smack of "mouseketeer" . . . for those of us who are over 50 and live in SoCal that image is quite frightening . . . . : - 0

So, it might be easy enough to sign up for the list serve, but so far my involvement has been in the forum, which has been a mixed bag . . . sometimes if one is lucky some high level data might be shared, but mostly it seems to be kicking the can around . . . and then sometimes when you try to help someone your posts get banned . . . for the ultimate sin of speaking "sarcasm about the foibles of Linux" . . . sending newbies to other sources of help, etc--it doesn't seem very "forum" like at times.

But, as a relative newbie in the Linux world myself, (my one computer class in the 70's also had the IBM punch card with the phone-set modem, and I concluded it wasn't going to survive in the cold hard consumer driven world) the main help I can do is tips for installation of dual boot systems in PPC . . . if the QA list serve links back to the Forum then perhaps I am interested . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

Gents:

Nobody has posted here for awhile, but my testing of 12.04 is continuing . . . things were going well on the "revive from suspend" front for awhile so I was lulled into thinking that the problem was fixed . . . and then it started happening again, perhaps with the upgrade to the 3.2.0-48-powerpc-smp kernel?? Just to test further I tried to use the "tab" key on the second Yaboot log in and there was just "Linux old" . . . listed, so I typed in "Linux old" . . . and logged in . . . went thru a few revive from suspend cycles and all was well until yesterday . . . had to shut the computer down because clicking on stuff didn't do anything. On restart I checked "uname -r" and it was the same as when I did "Linux old" . . . -48 . . . . I checked in the /boot folder and I see there are a number of choices, the closest number is 3.2.0-45-powerpc-smp . . . is there any way I can select that earlier kernel and see if that gets me back to where I had pretty consistent revive from suspend?

Thanks,

e.e.p.

Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast