Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

For those wanting to help str8bs with testing, the supposedly G3 acceptable mplayer2 package is here http://ubuntuone.com/4D1qo5u9PLC82LkrTqaGQF . So that you get all the necessary dependencies, it is probably best to install gnome-mplayer first and then install my version of mplayer2. Str8bs, doesn't it work with XAA?

Beans

@rsavage:

enduser/GUI test: iMac 800 G4:

Using same CD from the other day, is that from #226?? booted the CD with "live nomodeset xforcenv" brings very good resolution screen, typing this post now, don't know how long it will work . . . checked a few things. Only problem again the several minutes delay to get to screen and suspend brings black screen but processor or CD doesn't stop spinning, and then doesn't revive. Had to shut it down, went to the "live nomodeset xforcefbdev" and again several minutes later went to a very low res graphic . . . 8??? was able to see "reboot" and booted back into the xforcenv driver where I am now. So, it's fine in CD using nv driver, but already have an xubuntu loaded here, suspend doesn't work in it either, but can't be assured that it would be different in the updated version, as it didn't work the same way it did in the iBook--where it suspended and revived in the liveCD.

e.e.p.

Edit: Seconds after posting this the iMac screen went black . . . cursor visible and moveable, CD spinning, but black screen--assuming that was the kranken iMac crashing?? Difficult to know . . . .
    Last edited by este.el.paz; March 11th, 2013 at 02:11 AM.

Beans

I haven't used a CD in years so no idea if that is normal behaviour. I recommend you use a USB drive if you can (takes about 20mins to install on USB2). Not sure what the minimum memory requirements are, 512MB at a guess. If you have less you could possibly get crashes. Suspend is dependant on framebuffers. Is all documented in the FAQ, but no idea if it works on a G4 imac. You could possibly use xforcefbdev if you don't use nomodeset, but nv should be better.

Beans

@eep Thanks for testing.
    It looks like abtabt has identical hardware. If he/she can't confirm the same, it may very well be hardware.

@rsavage regarding CD, agreed. I wanted to make sure it would fit as I think that is what most people start with. I don't recall it being that slow with the standard ISO, but I usually just use alternates, so not sure.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    I haven't used a CD in years so no idea if that is normal behaviour. I recommend you use a USB drive if you can (takes about 20mins to install on USB2). Not sure what the minimum memory requirements are, 512MB at a guess. If you have less you could possibly get crashes. Suspend is dependant on framebuffers. Is all documented in the FAQ, but no idea if it works on a G4 imac. You could possibly use xforcefbdev if you don't use nomodeset, but nv should be better.
    @rsavage:

Thanks for the reply, it just seems easier to burn a CD/DVD . . . and it worked fine as I posted for my iBook. The iMac has been having kernel panic issues for quite some time. Str8 suggested I try to boot the iMac with the CD to see if that would get around the kernel panics, but I think it's problem with FW ports. It does have about 512 MB of RAM. If I didn't use "nomodeset" the screen went to the old green/black 3AM TV monitor, non-viewable, and the fbdev driver brought a low resolution screen . . . "live nomodeset xforcenv" brought the best screen graphics for the iMac . . . probably the computer crashed the screen.

Anyway, at some point I will consider installing your brand of Xu on the iBook, but first I'd want to know if the FAQ or wherever the data about locking in your mods so that update/upgrade wouldn't undo them, etc. Or, where the latest incarnation of your versions are located . . . other than here, and/or how that differs from the "regular" versions of Xubuntu . . . . Where would I find that information?

e.e.p.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by str8bs View Post
    @eep Thanks for testing.
    It looks like abtabt has identical hardware. If he/she can't confirm the same, it may very well be hardware.

@rsavage regarding CD, agreed. I wanted to make sure it would fit as I think that is what most people start with. I don't recall it being that slow with the standard ISO, but I usually just use alternates, so not sure.
    @str8:

Yeah, I was posting my experience in case it would help abtabt, but from his ( I think) recent post he was testing an "iMac 500???" (maybe that's a typo) . . . but I know from the past he has the same basic unit I do, as we've "talked" over the last couple years about what works for it. Abtabt is the one who gave me some hints about going to Xu, but with LXDE as best for the iMac 800, etc . . . so he's probably ahead of the game and actually knows how to do stuff with CLI, etc. But, from what I found in my iMac live test the xforcenv was very good right out of the box, but the fbdev option would probably need some xorg conf tweaking like we did in the past to get it to work.

But, yeah, I've done a fair number of installs using LiveCD/DVD's as well as using the Ubun alternate installer to get the Xu/LXDE system installed on my iMac 3 or 4 or so months back . . . none of them seemed to take as long to get either to the splash, or more importantly from the splash to a GUI as this CD . . . even longer on the iMac. Don't know whether that has any meaning once the installation has been done . . . ????

e.e.p.

Beans

Xubuntu-dev 4.10 packages: http://ubuntuone.com/0WYBV4qJ4cy5JoawY05RBW . You need to combine with the proper ppa https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+...4.10/+packages . I compiled back in January, so some are a bit out of date, but it is a head start for you.

The best thing to do is to create a local repository using the dpkg-scanpackages command. Then add it to your sources, for example:
    Code:
    deb [ trusted=yes ] file:/where-you've-stored-it precise xubuntu-dev

Beans

Xubuntu-dev 4.10 packages: http://ubuntuone.com/0WYBV4qJ4cy5JoawY05RBW . You need to combine with the proper ppa https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+...4.10/+packages . I compiled back in January, so some are a bit out of date, but it is a head start for you.

The best thing to do is to create a local repository using the dpkg-scanpackages command. Then add it to your sources, for example:
    Code:
    deb [ trusted=yes ] file:/where-you've-stored-it precise xubuntu-dev
    @rsavage:

Alrighty, thanks for that, the links and the added information . . . I get that this is what many advanced Linux people are doing, building their own kernel and adding packages . . . and making it totally customized, yet sleek . . . . However, I'm still very much an end user, and maybe over time I can find the time to learn more and more, but in the meanwhile needing to just piggyback onto an .iso that does most of what I need . . . w/o busting itself with each upgrade . . . . I'm thinking/referring to a situation that most of us posting here know of where updates/upgrades seemed invariably to break something . . . and in contrast it seems that more hands are contributing to the heavy lifting in the buntu world and so it's not depending on one person to do all the fixes . . . for free, etc. So, that is what I was asking about; and it looks like your suggestion about the dpkg-scanpackages command might be my direct answer about how to set the system to not break or load incompatible stuff onto it??? And that would be something that I'd have to find the time to learn about . . . although I have tweaked some sources list items for various OSs. I mostly use the Terminal or synaptic to find and install stuff, haven't downloaded any .deb files and done anything that way . . . . I'm still ignirint about delving into the innirds of kernel compiling . . . so it seems like if I want to use the .iso from #226 to install the system, and then try to figure out how to keep it from changing anything . . . except what I want to change.

Is there something about this on an FAQ that goes into the dpkg-scanpackages command a bit more in depth, but keeping it simple for rank beginners without covering all of the myriad complications . . . ?

e.e.p.
    Last edited by este.el.paz; March 11th, 2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Sorry eep, bit of a mis-communication there. That previous post was not for you, just anyone who wants updated packages from the xubuntu-dev ppa (they are not on the iso). I have so many compiled packages lying about I didn't know if anybody wanted them.

The iso you've downloaded has all the customizations explained in the README file. That is why I told people to read it. On your ibook, the only package that you may need to lock is abiword. The least painful way to do it is through synaptic package manager.

Beans

Sorry eep, bit of a mis-communication there. That previous post was not for you, just anyone who wants updated packages from the xubuntu-dev ppa (they are not on the iso). I have so many compiled packages lying about I didn't know if anybody wanted them.

The iso you've downloaded has all the customizations explained in the README file. That is why I told people to read it. On your ibook, the only package that you may need to lock is abiword. The least painful way to do it is through synaptic package manager.
    @rsavage:

Ah, OK, that's a relief . . . it's just pushing my skillset. For some reason something about the word "you" I took to be for me . . . what can I say, I'm in California . . . so it's all about me, me, me . . . . : - ))) Anyway, great if it's just abiword that would have to be locked, that might be easy enough to figure out how to do . . . . But wanted to reply here because I did read the Read me, but I guess I don't have enough knowledge to know that it was explaining how the package was put together. Thanks.

e.e.p.

Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast