Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

@str8bs and abtabt can one of you test the r128 package I posted in #245 please? It is just to test something out. It may help with the problems you are seeing, but may make glxgears worse. If it does change things, Connor says he'll come up with a better patch. He has already submitted anonther endian patch today (but that is probably no what you are seeing). Thanks.

Beans

Forgot to ask this:

By the way, since we're on the topic of big endian, have your users
    reported any issues with the video overlay? Ie telling mplayer or VLC to
    use Xv as the output? I noticed that there are some parts of the video
    code where radeon does byte swapping but r128 doesn't.

Beans

@rsavage
    No change for me. GLXgears stayed in the 340's
    I am able to fumble my way to "almost good" with workarounds. Moving to freedesktop with details in the next couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by abtabt View Post
    and if i use ONLY the VGA port with flat screen i dont need any arg at boot but this will use aty128fb driver but good GUI on the extern screen and the build in is black ( so imac with VGA conector (mirror) will work with a LCD and arg live at boot )
    IIRC, I had the same at least as far back as 3.23 kernel. I suspect DRI is automatically disabled due to high depth/res settings on default mode for external. (Mode not supported by the internal CRT so it is blank.) You can xrandr to a supported res like 1024x768 and you should see both mirrored.
    Last edited by str8bs; March 8th, 2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: GLXgears

Beans

That's disappointing. What about this http://ubuntuone.com/0wMWzedEktblPZNC7TPKmG (solid picture endian patch)? You are logging out and logging back in again after installing the package? Just checking.

The link contains the very latest endian patch. It should be the same as the current state of the r128 git repository (+ tormod's patch).

The previous link (OUTREGP patch) was a test of "If direct rendering is enabled, use big endian byte order". It played about with this http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri..._accel.c#n1072 bit of code. I've removed that in the current link since you said it had no effect.
    Last edited by rsavage; March 10th, 2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: labelled patches

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    You are logging out and logging back in again after installing the package? Just checking.
    stop/start lightdm and even rebooted for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage
    I've removed that in the current link since you said it had no effect.
    Your previous patch PLUS EXANoComposite PLUS MigrationHeuristic greedy = all good. That wasn't the case before (I think). Will have to revert to verify.
    Last edited by str8bs; March 10th, 2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: strike bad info

Beans

Str8bs, thanks for submitting the bug report.

So just to clarify:

original package + exanocomposite + migration greedy = still messed up

package from post 245 + exanocomposite + migration greedy = okay

package from post 254 + exanocomposite + migration greedy = ???? still messed up I expect?

What about the question on mplayer and xv?

Beans

p.s. If you give me the output of lsmod (plug in any peripherals you need) then I'll see if I can compile a kernel for you to try.

Beans

@rsavage:

End user/GUI operator report:

I'm booted in the liveCD burned from post #226 using "live" in the iBook G4 and everything looks very nice, good graphics, can't complain about the colors . . . . I'm typing this in FF and all seems to be working. And, most importantly, "suspend" works . . . and revived while in the CD . . . the main menu looks very "cinnamon-like" (just loaded cinnamon de on my MBPro yesterday) . . . . Haven't had time to try everything out, but it looks very promising; when I get enough time to re-partition the HD to give Linux 10 GB I would consider doing the install. I guess I'd have to get some hints about how to "lock the system" as you mentioned in the Read Me. I'll try to keep playing with the CD . . . sometimes what has happened in the past is that while typing these kind of posts the mouse would "go off" . . . in Kubuntu Live and something else. But, so far, it's fine-- very nice job, everything seems "tight." I guess the only beef is that yes, the black screen lasts a loooooonnnnnnnggggggg time. Maybe tomorrow I could try to boot in the kranken iMac G4 and see what happens there . . . . So many things to do, not enough time . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

New r128 package to try: http://ubuntuone.com/0k3wvKEp7FHz4KaVbPBFNX . This combines the previous two patches to OUTREGP and SolidPictures.

New cairo package 1.12.2: http://ubuntuone.com/2m35cIVq1y0DzyWqoIa7VP . This uses accelerated SolidPictures. Radeon ( http://ubuntuone.com/4R8Wa15Bdy9V9oy6OyX5q3 )/r128 users can use this package with the new xserver packages. I wouldn't install this if you use nv or nouveau.

If you've installed the new cairo package then the latest abiword maybe more useable: http://ubuntuone.com/4DdueD8CgjNUmrqTO5BdAZ
    Last edited by rsavage; March 10th, 2013 at 12:42 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    Str8bs, thanks for submitting the bug report.

So just to clarify:

original package + exanocomposite + migration greedy = still messed up

package from post 245 + exanocomposite + migration greedy = okay

package from post 254 + exanocomposite + migration greedy = ???? still messed up I expect?
    Sorry. I thunk wrong. All three = no color problem when using exanocomposite + migration greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by rsavage
    What about the question on mplayer and xv?
    Didn't have much time on this. Would be great if someone else could confirm.
    mplayer from extras:
    without xv = "...interrupted signal 4 : open_stream (same with/without DMAForXV)
    with xv = no error, but goes directly to "stopped" and nothing plays

VLC:
    crashes/exits without error in all cases

Parole:
    after installing codecs successfully played mpeg

All three play audio(mp3) without issue.

Other issues with this ISO:
    The expected slow due to apt-xapian-index. Recommend removing after install for those with older hardware.
    CD doesn't mount on the iMac (I haven't spent any time investigating yet.) CD's and DVD's automount fine on the G5/Nouveau system
    live boot and installation process extremely slow from CD - I hear a lot of seeks going on. Possibly due to the high compression?
    After installation from live boot and clicking restart, system ejects CD when expected, but hangs and just outputs characters when pressing enter (should restart). Force power/off on results in good boot from here though. (I repeated the install on the G3 to make sure it wasn't a fluke.) This is on the G3. Issue did not occur on the G5.
    Last edited by str8bs; March 10th, 2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: restart issue only on iMacG3

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast