Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    Hello people!

Colin Watson has kindly looked into the mirror archive error that has plagued the PowerPC live cds since 11.04. He thinks he has now fixed it, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...or/+bug/919356 ,but he needs some help with testing.

The new choose-mirror package is in the alternate CDs and I think the changes should have made there way into the ubiquity (live CD) package by now. So if you live in an exotic (i.e. non UK) location then why not have a go at installing 12.04?!! Please give feedback in the above bug report.

Thanks!
    I am replying to this on a B&W G3 running 12.04. This computer has an upgraded CPU (PowerLogix's PowerForce G3 ZIF, with IBM PowerPC 750GX) and a SATA card with 2 1TB Sata drives hooked into it. The graphics card is the stock ATI Rage 128.

I was unable to successfully install using the live cd (perhaps user error frustrated by incompatibilities with the graphics card), but the alternate cd worked well for me. My first day of use was command line only as the machine would only boot into low graphics mode. Editing the xorg.conf file as suggested in the FAQ and Common Problems Page did not solve the problem, but updating as suggested did do the trick.

Next on the agenda is determining whether I can get everything possible out of this CPU. On the Mac side I can get about 1000 MHZ out of it using software. Otherwise I believe the CPU runs at approx 500 MHZ. In Ubuntu I have been unable to figure out how to profile it to determine anything about its performance. BUT the Ubuntu GUI is behaving more sluggishly than the OS X GUI, so I suspect that the CPU is running at the lower speed.

Once I figure this all out, I'll likely prefer the CLI, but it would be good to know if anyone else has the same upgraded CPU and whether they know of a way to get the most out of it using Ubuntu.

I want to add that I appreciate this community. I am a complete NEWB installing Linux, and although I had some expected difficulties, it is clear to me that I wouldn't be able to use this OS without the efforts of so many of you.

Beans

@aaronparr:

It sounds like you are having fun . . . personally I am also fairly new to Linux, but have done a fair number of installs trying to get a system to run on my stock iMac G4. It's interesting to see that you have a modified machine, and that MAY have some effect on the install???

But, mainly I'm replying because it's Lubuntu 12.04 that has been adjusted to work with PPC computers . . . . And, if you look back through the recent posts in this thread you could see that rsavage is working on putting a Xubuntu 12.04 upgrade to work with PPC . . . . If you've only tried the main Ubuntu flavor, you might try the Lubuntu 12.04 LiveDVD or wait a little bit for the Xubuntu 12.04 . . . and then see how that works on your machine.

In Linux, there are a lot of options, but, in the PPC world the options are less, and you can put a lot of time as I have into getting a system up and running . . . only to have it break with the first upgrade. Better to work with an OS that is set up for PPC support . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

Thanks for the nudge towards Lubuntu. That lead me back to Zen's post about Lubuntu on PowerPC Liberation. It looks like you found your way there as well recently.

I'll take a look at these other flavors before I spend much energy getting set up in Ubuntu.

Beans

You might be better off asking about your upgraded CPU on the debian powerpc mailing list or even the powerpc kernel mailing list. You can find the links at the bottom of the FAQ.

Can I just ask what xorg.conf you are using now (if any)? I wrote those r128 instructions for the live CD when 12.04 was released, but I don't own such a machine. I wonder if something is missing from them?

Beans

For the xorg.conf file I simply deleted the extra sections and kept the relevant sections as instructed.

I'll look at those mailing lists, thank you. I am however now going to try Lubuntu 12.10 next as it is much lighter weight than Ubuntu, and that should improve performance.

Beans

Xubuntu live/desktop download: REMOVED

Please see the README file on the iso.

md5sum xubuntu-12.04-desktop-powerpc.iso
    c5657b88f48e28dc22e91ac361c4c13a xubuntu-12.04-desktop-powerpc.iso

sha256sum xubuntu-12.04-desktop-powerpc.iso
    e368ae54262bc9f17eb48d8c7ddfe2b69ae1197c31548fb5bb f35b30df0f03cb xubuntu-12.04-desktop-powerpc.iso
    Last edited by rsavage; March 10th, 2013 at 03:50 PM.

Beans

I should of probably said in the above that it is 627MB so should fit on a standard CD. I used a higher compression rate.

If you have a iMac G4 700/800 then use at the boot screen 'live nomodeset xforcenv'. If you have an iMac G3 and it doesn't boot without parameters then use 'live xforceimacg3'. These options are new to this CD, so please let me know if they work.

Beans

Nice work!
    imacg3 600 with Rage 128 Ultra
    boot: live xforceimacg3
    The long blank screen mentioned in the read me is way more than a minute on this dinosaur, but successful boot! Colors are off in a green tinted way, haven't looked into that.
    EXA acceleration "went swimmingly"
    DRI 3d enabled

1. May note in FAQ about kernel params getting appended to yaboot? It is easy to forget and I know it led me to chase my tale on a phantom port issue with a Fedora install the other day. I think the ubuntu installer works the same way as far as appends go. (automatically adds appends to yaboot config that were used in live/install boot)
    2. Does xforcevesa still work for those that still can't get to gui?

Thanks

Beans

Hi str8bs, long time no see!

Dunno about your green tint, is EXA not working correctly? Maybe a sub pixel rendering thing? Maybe mesa legacy?

The xforceimacg3/xforcenv/xforcefbdev just creates a basic xorg.conf that I assume (haven't tested) gets copied over to the installed system. So you shouldn't need to use them again. Nomodeset is probably only needed by nvidia users, and that as far as I know doesn't get appended by the installer (however, things starting with video= do get appended). So if you need nomodeset then you will have to keep typing it until you edit your yaboot.conf to make it permanent.

xforcevesa creates an xorg.conf using the vesa driver which I kinda assumed wasn't available on PowerPC? Have I got that wrong?

Thanks for the feedback
    Last edited by rsavage; March 4th, 2013 at 04:24 PM.

Beans

Hi rsavage.

Speculation - Color tint issue is related to EXA but actually due to gart/aperture size. If so, nothing to work around that as long as we are stuck with forcePCIMode. (8MB aperture.) I've seen a lot of threads correcting what sounds like the same issue by increasing or decreasing aperture size.

I was playing around with xforcevesa on a nouveau machine with Fedora18 live and it booted in low color using vesa driver. Several other bugs in that release were fighting me so haven't gone any farther with that.

Thanks for the clarification on appends. It was a video= appended in yaboot that had me chasing my tale.

EDIT: I should clarify that this live xubuntu is booting in 16 bit color. I haven't yet played with any changes post install.
    Last edited by str8bs; March 10th, 2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: strike my ASSumptions

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast