Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

BTW, booting with the parameters:

Code:
    Linux radeon.modeset=1 video=offb:off video=radeonfb:off video=1024x768-16 radeon.agpmode=-1
    ... as detailed here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#Radeon_cards

... didn't change anything regarding the bootsplash behaviour: still the same false colours, both at boot and at shutdown.

Well, I guess that I'll go back to the default, simplified boot screen (the one that you get with no special boot options)...
    Last edited by EuroCity; June 8th, 2012 at 10:27 AM.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Just a quick note to say I've found a new way to speed up firefox scrolling with my radeon card. If you are using UMS then set the FBTexPercent to a lowish value. My current setup is lubuntu (only 'cos I had an ISO to hand) with compiz on top. I compiled the latest stable compiz (0.8.8) so I can get the emerald window manager working. It's a pretty fast setup and looks and feels infinitely better than the standard Lubuntu setup (my aplogies to the LXDE lovers out there).

Ideally I would of liked kwin instead of compiz, but currently it is defeating me - it crashes when I unminimise a window. If you know how to fix it - did it work in 11.10? - then I would love to hear from you!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    Since the noise of the fan seems to be a problem for a lot of people I've looked into it a bit today. I've added some more to the FAQ about it. The safest thing is to probably reduce the fan starting speed. You can do this via the yaboot prompt. For example:

therm_adt746x.fan_speed=38

The default fan_speed is 64 so a value below this will make it start quieter and it will only get louder if the temperatue keeps climbing. If you want the fan to kick in at a higher temperature then use the limit_adjust parameter. For example:

therm_adt746x.limit_adjust=5

will start the fan at 55 degrees C (= 50 + 5).
    OK, so I finally had the time to try this (sorry, I had almost forgotten about it...); and, thus, I did a:

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/yaboot.conf
    ... and modified the two append sections with:

Code:
    append="quiet splash therm_adt746x.fan_speed=38 therm_adt746x.limit_adjust=5"
    ... thus adding the fan adjustment entries; finally, I did a:

Code:
    sudo ybin -v
    ... and rebooted.

Well, now the iBook G4's fan indeed seems to activate later and is also quieter, which is especially noticeable when running from the mains (before, in that condition, it was quite loud from the beginning).
    Last edited by EuroCity; June 13th, 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro

... Or is it better to add those entries into /etc/modules, as said here:

Quote Originally Posted by Farinet View Post
    For the fan noise follow the advices of rsavage given some posts earlier. In your '/etc/modules' file you should have this line:

Code:
    therm_adt746x fan_speed=66 limit_adjust=6
    (but with "excessive" parameters, in this case)...?

So, that would rather be (as before, with yaboot.conf), in /etc/modules:

Code:
    therm_adt746x fan_speed=38 limit_adjust=5
    ... which should be safe (hopefully...).
    Last edited by EuroCity; June 13th, 2012 at 05:43 PM.

Beans

therm_adt746x.fan_speed=38

The default fan_speed is 64 so a value below this will make it start quieter and it will only get louder if the temperatue keeps climbing. If you want the fan to kick in at a higher temperature then use the limit_adjust parameter. For example:

therm_adt746x.limit_adjust=5

will start the fan at 55 degrees C (= 50 + 5).
    Okay, thank you once again! (and EuroCity for the ybin reminder)

The fan is now very quiet most of the time and kicks on [less intensely than before] occasionally. It behaves similar to how it does in OS X, now. This will be more of a pleasure to use

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have an eMac Power PC G4. Have just removed the native OS X completely and have installed Ubuntu 12.04 on the internal Hard Drive. I can volunteer to be on the tester list.

The e-Mac has 1 gig of ram and a 1.2 Ghz processor. 80 Gig Hard Drive. The computer is roughly 5-6 years old. Also have an Intel Mac running OS X Lion, and have Ubuntu 12.04 installed as a virtual machine under virtual Box.

My Linux experience: What can I say! I'm basically a newbie with 15 years experience. Have been playing around the edges of various distros and I'm still wanting to learn more about the command line interface and the way Linux does business 'under the hood'.

If I can help the community effort, please get in touch.

rm2892@gmail.com

Ron Mitchell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Should add that Ubuntu 12.04 installed without problems on the eMac. I've yet to get the internal wifi to work, but I have a USB Dlink wireless interface which worked out of the box with both the live CD, and the subsequent installation on my hard drive.

Was originally hoping to install Ubuntu on an external hard drive (160 Gig) that I have here, but with that done, it failed to boot. Have been reading recently about issues related to that, and one of these days I'm going to find something that works on an external drive.

Installation on the internal hard drive went very well. Am now adding the Ubuntu Studio package. Also play around the edges with a midi keyboard here, and a camcorder, and various cameras and other audio-visual stuff. Ubuntu Studio looks interesting for that.

Ron

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

bytehacker, please get in touch with the lubuntu people https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Testing/PPC&Mac64 and volunteer your services.

You can of course test the other 12.10 ISOs - Ubuntu and Kubuntu - if you prefer. Just sign up to the tracker and test. The lubuntu-qa mailing list is still a good read for testing since it makes you aware of dates and deadlines for testing.

For 12.04 I was the only one testing Ubuntu and Kubuntu ISOs and I made sure Xubuntu ran okay from the mini ISO. I am not doing any testing for 12.10. If people want them released they have to do the testing themselves.

BTW, the PowerPCFAQ describes how to get an external hard drive booting.

This thread should be now closed since testing for 12.04 is finished, but you should still report any bugs you find.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Good. I will do that.

Appreciate your getting back to me.

bytehacker

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

bytehacker, please get in touch with the lubuntu people https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Testing/PPC&Mac64 and volunteer your services.

You can of course test the other 12.10 ISOs - Ubuntu and Kubuntu - if you prefer. Just sign up to the tracker and test. The lubuntu-qa mailing list is still a good read for testing since it makes you aware of dates and deadlines for testing.

For 12.04 I was the only one testing Ubuntu and Kubuntu ISOs and I made sure Xubuntu ran okay from the mini ISO. I am not doing any testing for 12.10. If people want them released they have to do the testing themselves.

BTW, the PowerPCFAQ describes how to get an external hard drive booting.

This thread should be now closed since testing for 12.04 is finished, but you should still report any bugs you find.
    We missed you rsavage but the Alpha 3 Lubuntu powerpc alternate and desktops worked like good magic. Thanks for sending Ron to the lubuntu group we need his boxes and his desire to test.

Greg nm_geo OUT
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast