Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by gwjvan View Post
    I haven't raised a bug report. (I actually never have... I guess this would be a good place to start)
    I think somebody beat you to it https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/950295 . Seems it's not just a PowerPC issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mw1coe View Post
    Works Fine here except for wifi.

But had those issues in earlier versions too.

Rob..
    Is there a wifi usb adaptor that works?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    I think somebody beat you to it https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/950295 . Seems it's not just a PowerPC issue.
    And it seems there is a patch pending

Also, I was able to get 12.04 working (with wireless, after being unsuccessful, last time) by moving these two directories to my home directory (using a 10.04 live usb):

/lib/modules/3.2.0-18-powerpc/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43
    /lib/modules/3.2.0-18-powerpc/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy

Then 12.04 boots. Once in 12.04, move those directories back and do the:
    sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

(I also installed b43-fwcutter by mistake before that, but I don't think that matters?)

Now 12.04 runs with wireless

Sound is now working:

I read this in another post (so it might be common knowledge on this board by now?) but to get the sound working on the PowerBook5,8 (and probably others?) open up the following file in gedit and comment out everything referring to "snd-aoa" (in my case, every line):
    /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.local.conf

I have to say, just a few weeks ago it seems the sound didn't work, the key backlighting didn't work, the wireless didn't work, the control buttons didn't work- but it has all come together. The speed of the interface has dropped (it is odd: the mac interface is silky smooth and responsive, but the programs are slower; whereas ubuntu's interface is laggy, but the programs are fast- and actually, I wonder if this is some new bug or issue with xorg or something, because I remember 12.04 alpha running faster). But it is nice to be able to run up-to-date software on the powerbook
    Last edited by gwjvan; May 8th, 2012 at 03:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am using a Mac Mini 1.25Ghz, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, using ethernet cable.

Installed lubuntu 12.04 off live CD.
    Followed xeno74's post about the sound (thanks!).

Other than that, everything works flawlessly. Let me know if there is anything you'd like me to test.

I have a question. Does anyone know what drivers are needed to be able to output from the DVI-D Mac Mini to HDMI TV? I used to have this working in Mac OS X (plug and play). It's a ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card.
    Last edited by markdpowell; May 8th, 2012 at 11:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[...] to get the sound working on the PowerBook5,8 (and probably others?) open up the following file in gedit and comment out everything referring to "snd-aoa" (in my case, every line):
    /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.local.conf [...]
    Exactly! And I also had to add the ex-blacklisted modules to /etc/modules, in order to have working sound on an iBook G4 14" 1.42 GHz; while the "powermac" sound modules aren't needed, anymore (they can be commented out).

So, this should be fixed in Ubuntu PPC 12.04.1: snd-powermac seems to be obsolete, indeed, at least on this machine.

While previously there was only a dummy sound output device, now there are headphones, as output and input: and they work also for the built-in speaker; no explicit speaker and microphone entries in the sound preferences, however - something to investigate further, perhaps...

Another problem is the fan speed, way too high from the beginning (the fans activate even if it isn't necessary, where they wouldn't activate on Mac OS X Leopard); and also the boot splash, which is still the "elementary" one (Ubuntu with dots on a black screen), not the "full" one (Ubuntu with logo, coloured background and dots) which you have on x86.

Well, let's say that it's a 3/4 good experience, sofar - not bad at all, but certainly it could be even better...

P.S.: The iBook G4 14" 1.42 GHz is identified as a PowerBook6,7 model, in Leopard's System Profiler.

As for the boot screen, obviously it would be a good thing if also PPC users could have something like this out of the box:

(in this screenshot for Lubuntu; but of course, in general, for every "-buntu" flavour: a complete graphical boot splash).
    Last edited by EuroCity; May 10th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

About adjusting fan limits:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#H..._fan_limits.3F

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#H...ncy_scaling.3F

But also with frequency scaling, the fan seems to run a little too often (at least compared to Mac OS X).

Not sure if this hint (see above) is really safe:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1358034

...?

Beans

Yeah, I'll have to try those fan settings. It runs too often, and at a loudness that mac os just simply never reaches. I'm also worried it could be bad for the cpu to tamper with it...

Also:

The sound/wifi issue I was having seems to be fixed in 12.10 Quantal.... not recommending anyone install it yet (I'm not), but the pre-alpha live image actually boots. (I'm typing from a quantal live session right now [daily-live/20120510/], on a 3g connection).

And sorry to the PPC faq maintainer... the sound issue is already documented, there (delete the blacklist file)
    Last edited by gwjvan; May 10th, 2012 at 09:52 PM.

Beans

Okay wow thank you PPC FAQ...

Linux video=ofonly

Speeds up the 12.04 interface to how I remember the alpha being... wow it runs more slickly now. compositing, transparency, very nice. Xubuntu with effects seems like a nice fit for this laptop, now

Beans

Okay wow thank you PPC FAQ...

Linux video=ofonly

Speeds up the 12.04 interface to how I remember the alpha being... wow it runs more slickly now. compositing, transparency, very nice. Xubuntu with effects seems like a nice fit for this laptop, now
    That enables KMS. Just a warning - it can be quite crash-tastic!!

You'll get a better spash screen (like EuroCity wants). If the colours are badly messed up on shutdown use the yaboot parameter:

video=1024x768-24

If you can get KMS to work fully then could you try unity-3d? It would be good to see if the problems the nouveau people report are just nouveau specific or if there is an endian problem somewhere.

Btw, I think Xubuntu is the best fit for most computers, although I plan to play around with a highly customized kubuntu.

EDIT: just to expand on the above, I used video=offb:off video=radeonfb:off video=1024x768-24
    Last edited by rsavage; May 11th, 2012 at 12:02 AM.

Beans

Okay, I'm on Unity 3d (!)

It runs smoothly at times- better than I expected it to.

The launcher and panel are an odd light blue/turquoise. Something is going on.

EDIT: And actually, there are no icons in the launcher (like the nouveau people report, except in my case just bright turquoise blocks) except for the bottom half of the top ubuntu button.

Also: The color problem also happened before when I ran Kubuntu 11.10 with effects (turning the effects off fixed the problem). And I just ran a Qt Creator project, a 2d drawing demo that runs two versions of the same animation, a "Native" and "OpenGL" version side-by-side. The "Native" animation had green colors, the OpenGL animation had pink colors (they are supposed to both be green). Something is up with the graphics card / driver (?).

Another edit: The icons are actually there, just when the dash isn't displayed, it maxes out to a bright turquoise, and when the dash is open, the turquoise fades to show that there are icons there.
    Last edited by gwjvan; May 11th, 2012 at 01:08 AM.

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast