Thread: Stick with Gnome Classic?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Stick with Gnome Classic?

I have Ubuntu 11.10 installed on my PC.I have used Gnome classic,Gnome 3 and Unity since initially Unity was too slow. But now after using ccsm Unity has become quite fast. But still it is slow compared to Gnome classic. So I would like to know if using Gnome classic now is going to cause me any problems in future ... like support issues or anything else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Stick with Gnome Classic?

The subject has been discussed here before . http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1854333
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lightbulb Re: Stick with Gnome Classic?

If you still want to use Ubuntu Classic (or GNOME2), consider using MATE, a GNOME 2 fork. It's pretty stable now, and mostly compatible with GNOME 3 and Unity. You can use all three on the same system and it still works pretty well. Get MATE at http://mate-desktop.org, and you will get the Ubuntu Classic experience, mostly... .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you guys

Beans

Greetings,
    Ubuntu Maverick and Classic Gnome2 was rockin fast [probably the fastest system I've ever used]. I used it almost a week before switching to Natty and now Oneiric. Somehow fast got lost in the quest for functionality. But it may be worth a take-a-look. Even though an install will be necessary.
    tlcstat
    Last edited by howefield; August 20th, 2016 at 02:54 PM. Reason: content restored.

Beans

I wouldn't do a new install of Maverick now - support (including security fixes) ends in April. You could use the 10.04 LTS for another year, or use an up to date version with MATE as suggested above - 11.10 + MATE is really quick!

Beans

Greetings,
    April! I was planning on using Pricise Pangolin in April. I think any discussion of speed and OS has to consider the machine. You can upgrade into slow. A larger kernel, a larger desktop, larger software, larger demands, equals more slow. I suggested Maverick because it used Gnome 2 and was super fast but I agree that Lucid Lynx might be the better option for a years support, and it will get rid of the heavier weight Oneiric.
    As for myself I've never been happier in my life with Oneiric, Unity desktop and all. Great looks, great functionality, acceptable speed, everything I need.
    tlcstat
    Last edited by howefield; August 20th, 2016 at 02:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have used Maverick before and it was lightning fast! But for some reasons I switched back to windows (was a mistake ).Then last week I installed Oneiric and it was hard to deal with so many changes and sluggish performance.But now I am starting to like Unity 2d so I think I'll stick with it.Its hard to customise though for newbies like me