Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Colors - iMac G4 PPC Lamp Model Ubuntu 11.10

Beans

Weird Colors - iMac G4 PPC Lamp Model Ubuntu 11.10

What have I done wrong?

I have installed Oneiric on my iMac G4 PPC Lamp Model and I have attached the picture of my awfully
    weird colors I experience with gui.

I use this code to get to the desktop, if I don't, I get a white screen after second yaboot prompt:

Code:
    Linux nouveau.modset=0
    Thank you, if you need anymore info about my computer, ask me please!

-Lars M.

Beans

Re: Weird Colors - iMac G4 PPC Lamp Model Ubuntu 11.10

Hi.
    Look for the PPC known issues to see if there's something that matches your case.

If you don't find anything, try to reinstall Ubuntu with a more stable and buggy-free release, like Lucid (10.04) or even Maverick (10.10). If you just installed Ubuntu and haven't done anything important with it, you may try another installation. But with another cd and maybe another release. Then, if you want to upgrade, you can always do it from the update manager. However, there are some problems with both 11.04 and 11.10. So, if I where you I would install 10.04, which is very up-to-date already, then upgrade to 10.10, and wait until the next stable release (12.04) comes out (it will be in April, although you can try unstable versions right now). Skip 11.04 and 11.10.
    Linux Mint 17.1 running on my AMD A8-6600K desktop; Ubuntustudio 14.04 running on a Macbook 2,1

Beans

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Generally I would say - download an xorg.conf file in the way described in the FAQ or set one up. I always find the legacy nv driver to be more reliable than neaveau on my iLamp, you can specify nv in the xorg.conf file. However 12.04 installed fine on mine with no graphics problems at all.
    A 1Ghz G4 iMac 'Lampy' with MintPPC 9 & OS X 10.5, a 400Mhz Slot loading G3 iMac with Debian Squeeze & OS X 10.4, a 1Ghz eMac with Lubuntu 12.04 and a 233Mhz Tray Loading G3 iMac with Debian Squeeze & OS X 10.4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by conal View Post
    Generally I would say - download an xorg.conf file in the way described in the FAQ or set one up. I always find the legacy nv driver to be more reliable than neaveau on my iLamp, you can specify nv in the xorg.conf file. However 12.04 installed fine on mine with no graphics problems at all.
    Yeah but I could never get the hang of xorg. Wait, you do mintppc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I do both! After install, drop to the command line and downloading a ready made xorg.conf file from the command prompt, e.g:

Code:
    wget http://mac.linux.be/files/xorg/imac8.txt
    ...to get an xorg.conf file, then to put it in place:

Code:
    mv imac8.txt /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    ....then reboot. If that doesn't work try this one:

Code:
    wget http://mac.linux.be/files/xorg/imac9.txt
    ...if that doesn't work try googling for more xorg.conf files that people have used for iLamps!
    A 1Ghz G4 iMac 'Lampy' with MintPPC 9 & OS X 10.5, a 400Mhz Slot loading G3 iMac with Debian Squeeze & OS X 10.4, a 1Ghz eMac with Lubuntu 12.04 and a 233Mhz Tray Loading G3 iMac with Debian Squeeze & OS X 10.4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by conal View Post
    ...if that doesn't work try googling for more xorg.conf files that people have used for iLamps!
    The nv driver is not included in 11.10 so none of those xorg.conf files will work straightaway in 11.10 (or 12.04 etc). Instructions to compile the nv driver are in the PowerPC FAQ!

Some of those xorg.conf files on that site are pretty awful and old. The PowerPC FAQ tells you all you need to know to configure a successful xorg.conf in the year 2012.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi everybody,
    I stumbled upon the same problem, and thought the right channel to hopefully get a solution for everyone would be Ubuntu Brainstorm. If you vote for this idea it'll have a better chance getting implemented.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't understand hsiyao- it's marked as not an idea!? So is nv actually supported in 12.04 or not?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi,

I guess it was marked to fast as not being an idea, and I wanted to write cheesehead a pm to take a second look but didn't find the time yet.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/xserver-xorg-video-nv tells you, that there is no 12.04 version (and no 11.10) so it's not installable from the repositories.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=612189 says, that xorg-video-nv was in fact discontinued because it wasn't maintained good enough anymore. It was replace by nouveau but the problem is, that nouveau needs kms (modeset=1) to work. Therefore if you boot a system with kms disabled, nouveau can't be used and xorg falls back to fbdev since xorg-video-nv doesn't exist anymore (Xorg still looks for it though)

So in my eyes the only solution would be to compile it for 12.04 and make it installable through the repositories for systems with nvidia cards that can't boot with kms enabled... and that pretty much was my idea gonna write cheesehead now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast