Thread: power shot SX100 capture driver

Beans

Question power shot SX100 capture driver

Hi every one, I hate to sound like a newb but I don't have much experience with cameras.

I just bought a new canon power shot SX100 and I am trying to get it to work with Ubuntu. I can read the internal SD card when i plug in the USB to the camera but that is all I can get working.

I am trying to use it for stop motion animation so I will need to get a capture driver (I'm new to all this). There are a few options but I only see them available in windows, and they are not free (no surprise). I found some software called stop motion but it does not appear to work with the camera. In the end I should be able to capture pictures and live video from the camera.

If any one knows of some software that could do this that would be great.

Thank you.

Beans

Re: power shot SX100 capture driver

libgphoto2 and gphoto2 (command line front end) can control Canon Powershot cameras - I've used it successfully with my SX110.

I don't know what its official status is now - its main website seems to have disappeared, but it's still in the repositories and the mailing lists appear to be quite active on the project's SourceForge page.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gphoto/

Steve.