Thread: How do I find out what version is installed?

Beans

How do I find out what version is installed?

I had problems installing the 64 bit Ubuntu. What happened is that it deleted the 32 bit and ran to the end and then gave me a messages saying I needed to burn the CD more slowly. (I didn't see any option to choose speed.) Then it opened to a new Ubuntu with everything I had added, except the trash, removed and there was a link to install Ubuntu on the desktop... So I clicked. I did a complete overwrite again and it didn't give me any error messages this time, but I want to verify that I have the 64 bit version.

In windows I'd just right click on the "My Computer and get properties. I have no idea how to do this in Ubuntu.

TIA
    ~Faith

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: How do I find out what version is installed?

From terminal:

32 or 64 bit
    Code:
    uname -a
    i386 or i686 = 32-bit
    x86_64 = 64-bit

You get some info from System, Administration, System Monitor but in the new versions with Unity I do not know where system monitor is or if it is installed as standard.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Smile Re: How do I find out what version is installed?

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    From terminal:

32 or 64 bit
    Code:
    uname -a
    i386 or i686 = 32-bit
    x86_64 = 64-bit

You get some info from System, Administration, System Monitor but in the new versions with Unity I do not know where system monitor is or if it is installed as standard.
    Thank you!! It installed correctly and is very clear to see with that bit of code. Thank you!
    ~Faith