Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to access installation Directory

Hybrid View

Beans

How to access installation Directory

Hi all I am still struggling with tags and playlists in ubuntu 11.10. I have downloaded a program called "entagged" but when I click on help it says the read me file is located in your installation directory. I have no idea where this is or how I get to it.
    Can anybody help?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to access installation Directory

Quote Originally Posted by jayrjay View Post
    Hi all I am still struggling with tags and playlists in ubuntu 11.10. I have downloaded a program called "entagged" but when I click on help it says the read me file is located in your installation directory. I have no idea where this is or how I get to it.
    Can anybody help?

Thanks
    So I assume you downloaded this from Sourceforge.
    The binaries (think .exe file in Windows) are usually stored in /usr/bin, although some programs will install stuff all over the place.
    This is a Java program, however, so it could be stored anywhere.
    Probably your best bet is to search for "entagged" in the root filesystem.

Beans

Hi Cortman thanks for looking at the thread unfortunately like a lot of times recently what you replied was well over my head no idea what you mean. Do you think it's time I scuttled back to windows with my tail between my legs it does seem to me you need to be computer savvy to run ubuntu successfully.
    Thank you for all your help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Use the package manager instead, if possible

Check in the software repositories using Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center. There is a Java Audio File Tagger called entagged there. Is that the package you were looking for? If so, it is worlds easier to use the package manager.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jayrjay View Post
    Hi Cortman thanks for looking at the thread unfortunately like a lot of times recently what you replied was well over my head no idea what you mean. Do you think it's time I scuttled back to windows with my tail between my legs it does seem to me you need to be computer savvy to run ubuntu successfully.
    Thank you for all your help
    Whoa! Sorry for speaking over your head. It can be a little tough to judge a person's skill level sometimes. Proficiency in Ubuntu and Linux in general can be a challenging but very rewarding pursuit (I'm lightyears from guru-hood myself). Keep trying!
    Bogan explains kind of what I suggested. Open the file browser and select "file system" in the list of bookmarks on the left. That's the "root" filesystem- the equivalent of C:\ in Windows. Type "entagged" in the search box, and see where that takes you.
    Again, apologies for being obtuse! Post back if you have any more questions!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To get a feel for the OS and how it operates, I would recommend the pdf I started with- Introduction to Linux, free download here. It'll explain the filesystem, a little on how the shell works, etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    Whoa! Sorry for speaking over your head. It can be a little tough to judge a person's skill level sometimes. Proficiency in Ubuntu and Linux in general can be a challenging but very rewarding pursuit (I'm lightyears from guru-hood myself). Keep trying!
    Bogan explains kind of what I suggested. Open the file browser and select "file system" in the list of bookmarks on the left. That's the "root" filesystem- the equivalent of C:\ in Windows. Type "entagged" in the search box, and see where that takes you.
    Again, apologies for being obtuse! Post back if you have any more questions!
    It is so easy to speak over my head anybody can do it! Please I thank you for all your help and I have got this problem sorted now. Just got to sort my broken updater now

Beans

Alright, since I am novice user just like yourself, I will attempt to answer with my limited knowledge, maybe the answer could be as simple as my mind goes. Usually, when you download a program for installation in Ubuntu, you would first download a whole package of files (in a .tar.gz format - similar to .zip or .rar), which contains all the files necessary for you to actually start the installation (called program building in Ubuntu). With all that being said, did you simply check the /Home/Downloads folder? That is where anything you download is stored, and you would take it from there.

P.S. Feel free to yell (type) in anger if the description above is completely irrelevant to what you are asking. Again, I am a novice Ubuntuer. However, I would definitely discourage you from switching back to windows, and absolutely recommend that you stick with this problem of yours until you know how to do it. The satisfaction felt after spending two or three days, pouring over tens of online help pages, and finally figuring out is unmatched, and elating.

Good luck!

Beans

Thanks
    Last edited by jayrjay; February 2nd, 2012 at 08:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by LinuXofArabiA View Post
    Alright, since I am novice user just like yourself, I will attempt to answer with my limited knowledge, maybe the answer could be as simple as my mind goes. Usually, when you download a program for installation in Ubuntu, you would first download a whole package of files (in a .tar.gz format - similar to .zip or .rar), which contains all the files necessary for you to actually start the installation (called program building in Ubuntu).
    Actually, you should avoid doing it this way if at all possible. I haven't compiled anything in years, because it's horrible.

On Linux the first place you should look for software is your distribution's repositories. On Ubuntu you use Ubuntu Software Centre to access them. If a package isn't in the repos the next place to look is for a PPA or a .deb file to download. If something only offers a tarball I tend to run a mile. If they can't even be bothered to supply a .deb and a .rpm then I'd question how well-written or current the software is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast