Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to access installation Directory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: How to access installation Directory

Quote Originally Posted by LinuXofArabiA View Post
    Alright, since I am novice user just like yourself, I will attempt to answer with my limited knowledge, maybe the answer could be as simple as my mind goes. Usually, when you download a program for installation in Ubuntu, you would first download a whole package of files (in a .tar.gz format - similar to .zip or .rar), which contains all the files necessary for you to actually start the installation (called program building in Ubuntu).
    Actually, you should avoid doing it this way if at all possible. I haven't compiled anything in years, because it's horrible.

On Linux the first place you should look for software is your distribution's repositories. On Ubuntu you use Ubuntu Software Centre to access them. If a package isn't in the repos the next place to look is for a PPA or a .deb file to download. If something only offers a tarball I tend to run a mile. If they can't even be bothered to supply a .deb and a .rpm then I'd question how well-written or current the software is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi! Lars,

To do what cortman suggests:

Open the Home folder; if you are logged in to Ubuntu, that is usually the third Icon down the list on the left Click on the Icon.
    If you are logged in to Gnome Classic it will be the first entry in the Places Menu list, put the cursor on it and release the Mouse button on that.

A Window will open, probably called ' < Home', but may be < home Username.
    Click on the '<' and it will change to a square symbol and home Home.
    If it does not, and give you a screen showing bin, boot, dev, cdrom, etc, etc. then click on it again until it does.

That is what is called your Root Folder and is shown in the top global menu bar as ' /--File Browser'.
    '/' is the symbol for 'Root'

Top right there will be two arrow symbols, Back and Forward, a Magnifying glass and the word 'Search'. Click on the glass symbol and enter the name of the file you want to find, in the Search Text box that opens.
    Then click on the glass at the end of the box. Now you wait, and it may be a long wait.

Eventually it will either show no matches found, or Icons for all the instances it has found.

Right-Clickon the one you want and select 'Properties' in the drop down menu,
    That will give you the details and where it is to be found ie Its Path.

eg I searched for "nvidia-config" and it showed: "Location: /home/alan/Downloads/nvidia-270/...

Chao!, bogan. It is not as difficult as it seems, but alcohol is likely to make it look easier than it actually is.

Thanks bogan found it, easy when you know Once again many thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    Whoa! Sorry for speaking over your head. It can be a little tough to judge a person's skill level sometimes. Proficiency in Ubuntu and Linux in general can be a challenging but very rewarding pursuit (I'm lightyears from guru-hood myself). Keep trying!
    Bogan explains kind of what I suggested. Open the file browser and select "file system" in the list of bookmarks on the left. That's the "root" filesystem- the equivalent of C:\ in Windows. Type "entagged" in the search box, and see where that takes you.
    Again, apologies for being obtuse! Post back if you have any more questions!
    It is so easy to speak over my head anybody can do it! Please I thank you for all your help and I have got this problem sorted now. Just got to sort my broken updater now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12