Thread: Multiple Screens - Xinerama - Drag and Drop problem

Beans

Multiple Screens - Xinerama - Drag and Drop problem

Hey folks,
    I have a system with three screens running Ubuntu 11.10 86_64. Those screens are located next to each other and the X-Server is configured with Xinerama.
    The screen in the middle is the main screen and all desktop-icons are located on the left one by default (files, links, ...). If I want to move one of these icons to another screen, I try to drag and drop those. Unfortunately the moving icon is always shifted to the left by one width of the left screen. When I click on the icon, the shaded icon indicating a dragging action appears always shifted to the left relative to the cursor.
    Does someone understand my concern?

This is a pain in the ***, because I cannot drag any file to another screen or a window. (Windows itself are not affected and can be moved wherever I want)
    Instead of moving a file from one folder to another by dragging and dropping, it becomes moved anywhere... Furthermore I cannot move any file or icon to the right screen, because all icons and files become dropped one screen width of the left screen relative to the cursors position when the cursor has reached the end of the right screen...

How can I fix that bug?

My graphic card is the Nvidia Quadro NVS 450 and these is my Xorg.conf-file generated by the nvidia-settings tool:

Code:
    # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings # nvidia-settings:  version 280.13  (buildd@allspice)  Thu Aug 11 20:54:45 UTC 2011  Section "ServerLayout"     Identifier     "Layout0"     Screen      0  "Screen0" 1366 0     Screen      1  "Screen1" 3286 156     Screen      2  "Screen2" 0 156     InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"     Option         "Xinerama" "1" EndSection  Section "Files" EndSection  Section "InputDevice"     # generated from default     Identifier     "Mouse0"     Driver         "mouse"     Option         "Protocol" "auto"     Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" EndSection  Section "InputDevice"     # generated from default     Identifier     "Keyboard0"     Driver         "kbd" EndSection  Section "Monitor"     # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid     Identifier     "Monitor0"     VendorName     "Unknown"     ModelName      "BenQ GL2450H"     HorizSync       30.0 - 83.0     VertRefresh     50.0 - 76.0     Option         "DPMS" EndSection  Section "Monitor"     # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid     Identifier     "Monitor1"     VendorName     "Unknown"     ModelName      "BENQ G922HDL"     HorizSync       24.0 - 63.0     VertRefresh     50.0 - 76.0     Option         "DPMS" EndSection  Section "Monitor"     # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid     Identifier     "Monitor2"     VendorName     "Unknown"     ModelName      "BenQ G922HDL"     HorizSync       24.0 - 63.0     VertRefresh     50.0 - 76.0     Option         "DPMS" EndSection  Section "Device"     Identifier     "Device0"     Driver         "nvidia"     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"     BoardName      "Quadro NVS 450"     BusID          "PCI:3:0:0" EndSection  Section "Device"     Identifier     "Device1"     Driver         "nvidia"     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"     BoardName      "Quadro NVS 450"     BusID          "PCI:4:0:0"     Screen          0 EndSection  Section "Device"     Identifier     "Device2"     Driver         "nvidia"     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"     BoardName      "Quadro NVS 450"     BusID          "PCI:4:0:0"     Screen          1 EndSection  Section "Screen"     Identifier     "Screen0"     Device         "Device0"     Monitor        "Monitor0"     DefaultDepth    24     Option         "TwinView" "0"     Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"     SubSection     "Display"         Depth       24     EndSubSection EndSection  Section "Screen"     Identifier     "Screen1"     Device         "Device1"     Monitor        "Monitor1"     DefaultDepth    24     Option         "TwinView" "0"     Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"     SubSection     "Display"         Depth       24     EndSubSection EndSection  Section "Screen"     Identifier     "Screen2"     Device         "Device2"     Monitor        "Monitor2"     DefaultDepth    24     Option         "TwinView" "0"     Option         "metamodes" "DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"     SubSection     "Display"         Depth       24     EndSubSection EndSection
    Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Angry Re: Multiple Screens - Xinerama - Drag and Drop problem

This problem also affects me and is driving me crazy. It is a known bug but has been assigned a low priority for some reason!!!!!

If you are experiencing this problem it would be a good idea to indicate that you are affected on the Ubuntu bug tracker:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/884678

I have three screens attached to two NVidia cards and have to Xinerama to get all three screens working.

Beans

Re: Multiple Screens - Xinerama - Drag and Drop problem

Thanks!
    I reported the bug.
    I figured out that the problem is reduced if the XScreen0 on DFP-0 and on GPU-0 is the left one (it should not be on the second GPU). Unfortunately this also means that the main screen is the left one.
    Now I can move symbols on the middle and the right screen without an offset, but I am not able to move symbols to the left screen. Nevertheless I got rid of the offset as long as I agree with moving symbols just on two of three screens. To achieve this it is necessary to align all monitors to the upper side, if they do not have the same resolution.
    If I align the monitors not to the upper side, I will end up with a vertical offset instead of a horizontal one.

[edit]
    By the way, I am using GNOME 3. I do not know if that matters...
    [/edit]