Thread: Outdated programming book?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Outdated programming book?

Hello,
    I was not sure where to post this so I put it in programming talk. I have been wanting to learn C++ for a while now. I purchased a book a long time ago, at the least it was over 5 years ago. The book is SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 24 hours Second Edition. Well long story short I ended up getting more into HTML/CSS and this book ended up collecting dust.

Recently I have renewed interest in learning C++. My question is: will this book be too outdated to serve as a starting point into learning C++? Or should I buy a new book. I am hoping I can still use this book as I am on a budget but if I had to I would be willing to purchase something more current.

Thank you for reading.

Re: Outdated programming book?

Read it again, my guess is that a refresher course in fundamentals can never be a bad thing.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans

Outdated? Likely not much of an issue. But beware of the "24 hours" mindset, stay humble, and know that you won't learn all the C++ you need to know from such a book.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not saying you shouldn't use the book -- the reviews seem to be decent. I'm just offering some advice to keep in mind while using it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

C++ standard is not refreshed that often, so 10 year old book is still ok. There is brand new standard coming out (C++11) but it expands on previous editions so it's not like existing books become worthless. Also migration to this new standard won't happen over night and 'old' C++ still has a lot of value.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The 24 hours books are a good introduction - as long as you approach it as 24 x 1 hour lessons, not something that happens in a day. Expect to take three weeks to digest a book like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Awesome. Glad to hear I can still use this book as a starting point. Thanks for your responses and if you guys maybe have a personal favorite book that helped you learn C++ let me know.

Thanks again,
    Tony