I'm thinking of setting up a web server at home using an old PC I have access to. I can't find anything against it in my ISP TOS, so I'm assuming I'm good to go - but I do have some questions.
1. Security risks
- there are several computers connected to my home wireless network. Would establishing a web server make them vulnerable in any way?
2. IP Address
- is there a way to make my website accessible by typing in an IP address as a URL??
3. Operating System
- What is the best choice for a web server? I'm definitely going with something Linux-based, but I'm not sure which distribution would be best for a server.
4. Control Panel
- I'm assuming I will need to install some kind of control panel (like cPanel). Is this required? If so, what are some open-source, free alternatives to cPanel?
- Is there a way to set up FTP, so I can access the server remotely?
I'm sure I have asked some fairly obvious questions here, but please forgive me as I am fairly new with regards to home server setups.