Thread: LibreOffice won't stay open

Beans

LibreOffice won't stay open

I was writing a letter to a computerless friend. I notice that the page numbers weren't showing (at about page 5), so I saved my work and set out to find out how to fix it. At some point it closed. When I tried to reopen it, and every time subsequently, it does a recover (successful) and opens for maybe 5 seconds and shuts down again.

I tried opening it in gedit and got this message
    The file you opened has some invalid characters. If you continue editing this file you could corrupt this document.
    You can also choose another character encoding and try again.
    I had added a few pictures and had one word with "é" instead of "e", but other than that, I don't know what might be considered invalid, or even if this has anything to do with my problem.

UGH!! now it's beyond repair, but I still need to know how/why this is happening and what to do about it. I had similar problems with OpenOffice, but thought it was Windows that was the problem. Meanwhile I'm going back to Lotus Symphony.

Beans

Re: LibreOffice won't stay open

Unless you have some sensitive info in it, could you attach the file for us to give it a look?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'd be interested to see how this plays out, too. LibreOffice (I can't check the version number [explained below], but I think it's 3.3.3) crashes randomly under Ubuntu 10.04.3 64-bit. Today when I booted up, I tried to run LO. It goes through the recovery mode, and then disappears, not to be seen until I launch it again... and again... and again.

I've even rebooted the system, but it makes no difference.

Any idea what's going on? Thanks in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TeoBigusGeekus View Post
    Unless you have some sensitive info in it, could you attach the file for us to give it a look?
    Hi. I am also going crazy not being able to open Libre files. Am attaching one of the files I am unable to open and so hope you can HELP :

/home/sally/Documents/Sue/SUES MESSAGES.odt

Sallymc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

file location as you see it on your local account won't do much good here, on the internet you need to attach the doc file to the forum post or upload the file to some file upload service and post url here

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    file location as you see it on your local account won't do much good here, on the internet you need to attach the doc file to the forum post or upload the file to some file upload service and post url here
    I didn't want to attach the file because it was personal. However, it was 208 pages long and I suspect that the length may have been causing the problem. So I converted the file (using Calibre) from odt to txt and then copied and pasted it from Gedit to Libreoffice. After deleting the other *lock* files everything now seems to be fine.

I won't extent the 208 page doc any more but will rather start a new one.

But many thanks indeed for your help.
    Sallymc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

that was the question - Unless you have some sensitive info in it, could you attach the file for us to give it a look?

you did so no problem