dear gurus and holy folk, I defer to your revered views for any advice and/or help,
I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 through windows (not Wubi, of course).
I just popped in the DVD and to my surprise it worked and just asked me to install linux, which it did within 15 minutes side by side to Windows 7, creating a neat dual boot, and not using Grub but the standard windows boot menu, which is fine by me. So far, great!
However, windows 7 is stable as a rock, and leaves my laptop cold as an iceberg, unless i push it to its limits. No fans ever run, unless I really make this beast of a laptop struggle.
As soon as I boot into Ubuntu though, I have about 20 seconds or less before the fans sound like a steam engine, then my laptop suddenly powers off because it has (seemingly) overheated (??). Sometimes I don't even have time to type my password to log in!
I assume, Ubuntu is making my system run on overdrive for some reason.. or for no reason. I'm afraid to keep trying, in case it destroys one of my HDDs as it shuts off abruptly.
here are my system specs:
ASUSTeK K95VM (laptop Model)
BIOS: American Megatrends Latest Version (230)
Main HDD 3.5'' Toshiba 1TB @ 7200 rpm: SATA AHCI EFI GPT (NTFS, OEM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1)
Secondary HDD 2.5'' Seagate 1TB @ 7200 rpm: SATA AHCI GPT (NTFS, empty for the time being)
Memory: 16GB DDR3 DUAL RAM
Main Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M (327.23)
Secondary Graphics Card (onboard graphics) Intel HD Graphics 4000, rev.9
Mainboard: ASUSTek Computer INC/ k95VM 1.0
Chipset: Intel, Ivy Bridge, Rev. 09
Southbridge: Intel, HM76, Rev. 04
CPU: Intel Core i7 3610QM @ 2.30GHz (I think it has 4 cores and 8 threads, but was sold to me as 8-core...)
Sound: I don't think it matters for our purposes here, some "Realtek HD Audio" thing..
Ok, so guys, I'm a complete idiot to some linux code stuff. I'm just a graphic designer. Some windowz running software is becoming super expensive to keep buying new versions for, and I've started using freebies in Ubuntu as an alternative to layout for brochures at least... If you could get Ubuntu up and running for me (without burning my machine or HDDs), I'd love you for it and spread the good digital voice around!
1) Is this happening due to some kind of Kernel problem? Or is it lack of drivers for my Intel CPUs or Nvidia GPU? How do I find out what's the cause?
2) can this be fixed from Grub? because I can't even run ubuntu long enough before it crashes to make any changes, I've even put a giant fan under my laptop keeping it cool... to no avail, it lasted about 1 minute longer, then shut off
3) Is it related to my graphics card(s)?
4) Is is BIOS related?
5) Is it HDD related?
6) in any case, can we find out what causes the crashes/unexpected shutdown in Ubuntu? Is there a log file? If yes, How do I get it to send it to you here?
7) could it be hardware related?
8) Could the thermal sticky putty stuff that rests on top of the cPUs (or the gPU) be worn out? and perhaps Ubunutu is asking for a bit tad much more than Windows and it shuts off? (when I touch underneath it is still relatively cold. just the fans screaming, and the air that comes out is warm-hot-ish, not hot; i've felt it hotter, way hotter in windows when doing some intense stuff in photoshop on 20GB files...) If it's this sticky thermal putty thing, how can I fix it myself? (yes I'm broke, and it doesn't hurt fixing this in addition to other stuff listed above)
It's mostly the left fan going wonka when in ubuntu. (maybe this matters)