Thread: Virtualbox- shared folders (installed VB & extensions from Oracle, in user group)

Beans

Virtualbox- shared folders (installed VB & extensions from Oracle, in user group)

I can't get to a folder from my guest OS that I have shared on my Ubuntu host. Here's what I've done:

1. I had VB from the software center, so I removed it using sudo apt-get remove virtualbox.
    2. I used synaptic package manager to remove the guest additions.
    3. Downloaded Oracle VB version 4.1.8 from the website.
    4. Downloaded Oracle VB extensions version 4.1.8 from the website
    5. Installed both VB & the extensions.
    6. I opened my virtual machine, I see extensions 4.1.8 mounted on the guest desktop. For good measure I tried to "install guest additions" but nothing happened presumably because it's already installed.
    7. I added myself to the user group on the guest using sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers MsDaisy
    8. I installed samba on the host and shared the host folder. (because I was failing without it)
    9. On the host I logged off and logged back on.
    10. I went to Devices --> Shared folders in the guest OS and chose "Shared Folders", I see the correct path to the folder that I want to share listed with full access & auto mount.

That brings me to my question. Where is the shared folder? I chose auto mount, so presumably that means it would automatically mount somewhere? Where exactly does it mount? I cannot find it on the desktop, in the file system, or anywhere within the guest. Apparently I've configured something incorrectly. Anyone have a clue what that might be?
    Last edited by Ms. Daisy; February 20th, 2012 at 01:02 AM.

Beans

Re: Virtualbox- shared folders (installed VB & extensions from Oracle, in user group)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    I can't get to a folder from my guest OS that I have shared on my Ubuntu host. Here's what I've done:

1. I had VB from the software center, so I removed it using sudo apt-get remove virtualbox.
    2. I used synaptic package manager to remove the guest additions.
    3. Downloaded Oracle VB version 4.1.8 from the website.
    4. Downloaded Oracle VB extensions version 4.1.8 from the website
    5. Installed both VB & the extensions.
    6. I opened my virtual machine, I see extensions 4.1.8 mounted on the guest desktop. For good measure I tried to "install guest additions" but nothing happened presumably because it's already installed.
    7. I added myself to the user group on the host using sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers MsDaisy
    8. I installed samba on the host and shared the host folder. (because I was failing without it)
    9. On the host I logged off and logged back on.
    10. I went to Devices --> Shared folders in the guest OS and chose "Shared Folders", I see the correct path to the folder that I want to share listed with full access & auto mount.

That brings me to my question. Where is the shared folder? I chose auto mount, so presumably that means it would automatically mount somewhere? Where exactly does it mount? I cannot find it on the desktop, in the file system, or anywhere within the guest. Apparently I've configured something incorrectly. Anyone have a clue what that might be?
    what is the guest OS ?

If it is windows then look in your network, windows explorer for a new drive letter or map a drive to it

here is a guide http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch0...#sharedfolders
    Last edited by haqking; January 27th, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Re: Virtualbox- shared folders (installed VB & extensions from Oracle, in user group)

Thanks. I missed the section on automatic mounting.

Just for future reference, it auto mounts the shared folder in
    Code:
     /media/sf_myfiles
    on linux guests.