Thread: Wireless Works Until Reboot

Beans

Exclamation Wireless Works Until Reboot

Hey
    I have a Dell Inspiron 600m that is currently running only Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal. I have my network drivers properly installed, and I can get a wireless connection with the help of a few packages found by searching for "bcm", but when I turn off and turn on my computer (restart, shutdown and turn on, etc), the wireless stops working and it goes back to how it was before I installed the three bcm packages. Each time, to get wireless connection, I have to uninstall the packages, reboot, and reinstall them. Then it works until the computer is shut off. Does anyone have anything that could help?

Here are the "bcm" packages I have for my 4318 card:
    bcmwl-kernel-source
    firmware-b43-installer
    b43-fwcutter

Also, my network card is a Broadcom 440x Gigabit Integrated Controller. Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance,
    Bman214

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Wireless Works Until Reboot

Quote Originally Posted by bman214 View Post
    Hey
    I have a Dell Inspiron 600m that is currently running only Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal. I have my network drivers properly installed, and I can get a wireless connection with the help of a few packages found by searching for "bcm", but when I turn off and turn on my computer (restart, shutdown and turn on, etc), the wireless stops working and it goes back to how it was before I installed the three bcm packages. Each time, to get wireless connection, I have to uninstall the packages, reboot, and reinstall them. Then it works until the computer is shut off. Does anyone have anything that could help?

Here are the "bcm" packages I have for my 4318 card:
    bcmwl-kernel-source
    firmware-b43-installer
    b43-fwcutter

Also, my network card is a Broadcom 440x Gigabit Integrated Controller. Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance,
    Bman214
    Remove or de-activate the high lighted package, remove the cable and reboot the pc. Click on Network Manager icon to see a list of available networks. If you cannot see yours click on Connect to Hidden Wireless Network .... Enter a few details and away you go.

Beans

Talking Re: Wireless Works Until Reboot

Quote Originally Posted by westie457 View Post
    Remove or de-activate the high lighted package, remove the cable and reboot the pc. Click on Network Manager icon to see a list of available networks. If you cannot see yours click on Connect to Hidden Wireless Network .... Enter a few details and away you go.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! This worked! I never would've guessed it haha. I'm glad I can now permanently use wireless internet. =D

Beans

Re: Wireless Works Until Reboot

Hey! I'm now trying out Debian and I have the same problem, except I don't even detect wireless networks yet.

I forgot if I uninstall the highlighted package before or after rebooting.
    (example, install all 3 packages, reboot?, uninstall that one, reboot)

EDIT: None of the packages can be found. I tried synaptic, aptitude, and apt-get.
    Looks like I'm headed to Debian's support forums...

EDIT2: Fixed on the Debian forums.
    Last edited by bman214; January 27th, 2012 at 02:04 AM.